Premed 101 Forums

Search function?

Guest Donnie Darko

Guest Donnie Darko

Does the search function for the forumns not work, or am I doing something wrong?

For example I typed in cardiology into the subject field for a couple forumns and got no results... actually I think I've gotten on results for any searches I've tried so far. I just tried a search on locum in the general forumn since I saw a thread with locum in the title. turned case sensitive off and hit search. 0 results, even though i see the thread staring me right in the face :P

PS - I don't want to sound overly critical, just want to either point it out if it is broken, or get directions on what I'm doing wrong. Love this site Ian, you're the man for putting so much work into it.

The search function sucks...and that isn't Ian's fault, it is a problem with ezboard itself. If you want to search for something, you need to search each individual forum separately...which is a monster pain in the (#@). Essentially, you need to know what forum the thing you are looking for is likely to be in. As an example:

If you are searching for Cardiology, you might try hitting the search button when you are in the "med student discussion" or the CaRMS and Beyond forum...if you search for cardiology while in the Mac forum, it might tell you that there is nothing even though there might be 200 posts about cardiology in the med student discussion area...

Good luck!

Guest Ian Wong

EZBoard is currently in the process of developing a new database method to store the information posted on the forums. In theory, once this is completed, searches should become much more efficient. Of course, they've been working away at this for several months now, and the product still hasn't been released, so I think the best thing to do is jump to the most appropriate forum, and search from there, or just page through the forum manually.

It helps a lot if people use descriptive titles for their subjects. Hopefully the database will be upgraded in the near future, and then it will become very easy to access and search through messages from the beginning of the forums onwards.

Ian

Guest Ian Wong

Just as an update, EZBoard just came out with version 7.3. Here's some information on what that entails:

beta.ezboard.com/fezboardfrm82.showMessage?topicID=147.topic

Essentially, this is supposed to be "Turn 1" of a three-step process of upgrading the EZBoard databases. By the time Turn 3 is completed, which should be in a few months, you will have the ability to run more comprehensive searches on these forums. :) Hopefully it will work as advertised!

Ian

Archived