Premed 101 Forums

Stressed Out! Please Give Me Some Info

Hello everyone. So I had an extremely rough first 2 years of university. and I did my bachelors of bio sience in 5 years. First year, first semester i had four Ws and a C+, SO i was considered as part time, second semester 3 Fs, second year mostly Fs again. So my second year GPA was 0.45. I had a turnaround however. 3rd year, 4th year and 5th year with a gap of 4, MCAT score of 37. 3 years hospital work, more than 2000 hours of volunteer work, great letter of references. Now I know some universities calculate all full year studies' gpa, however I've heard some consider last 3rd year, like ottawa, last 2 year, like queens, and worst year dropped like some others, (calgary). So with all being said what universities you think I should apply, (cause if a university also wants each years' gpa as well I won't be considered) and what are the chances that I get accepted? Also wanted to say that I am willing to go to states as well. please help out, I can't even sleep anymore. 

No need to post multiple times, people on the forum are usually quick to reply anyway  :)

First off, good on you for drastically improving in your latter years. Assuming you took a full course load in year's 3-5, you're competitive for Queen's, Western, and Ottawa. Also contingent on you taking courses in each respective year that are appropriate for that year (i.e., 3rd year courses in third year, 4th year courses in fourth year, etc.)

Because you didn't take a full course load through your years of study, UofT will not apply their wGPA formula, thereby rendering your application rather weak GPA-wise (for them at least). Of course you may still apply, and explain your poor performance in your early years.

For the schools that discount one year, you're still left with one poor year with regards to your GPA, this will likely bring your cGPA down quite a bit.

State schools, luckily for you, consider increasing GPA trends in your years of study, and coupled with your stellar MCAT and what seems to be decent EC's (I doubt you disclosed everything you did), I would definitely consider applying in the US. Make sure to consider which schools in the States consider Canadian applicants, as some require you to put 4 years of tuition (~250,000-300,000?) in an escrow account right off the bat, while others only accept 1-2 international students yearly. These schools I would personally stay away from, simply because of the low chance of admittance. There are, however schools that consider Canadian applicants irrespective of their nationality, while others accept a decent amount of applicants a year. These schools are definitely worth a shot. I have compiled a list of US schools that have decent consideration for Canadians, if you like I would be willing to PM that document to you (it includes schools as well as their specific admission consideration thresholds for their friends up north).

So yeah, all in all, you definitely have options. You're clearly a capable individual who is capable of academic excellence, as evidenced by your performance in your latter years and MCAT. Don't beat yourself up because of a few misfortunate years. Take care and good luck! (oh and get some sleep :P )

-AM

No need to post multiple times, people on the forum are usually quick to reply anyway  :)

First off, good on you for drastically improving in your latter years. Assuming you took a full course load in year's 3-5, you're competitive for Queen's, Western, and Ottawa. Also contingent on you taking courses in each respective year that are appropriate for that year (i.e., 3rd year courses in third year, 4th year courses in fourth year, etc.)

Because you didn't take a full course load through your years of study, UofT will not apply their wGPA formula, thereby rendering your application rather weak GPA-wise (for them at least). Of course you may still apply, and explain your poor performance in your early years.

For the schools that discount one year, you're still left with one poor year with regards to your GPA, this will likely bring your cGPA down quite a bit.

State schools, luckily for you, consider increasing GPA trends in your years of study, and coupled with your stellar MCAT and what seems to be decent EC's (I doubt you disclosed everything you did), I would definitely consider applying in the US. Make sure to consider which schools in the States consider Canadian applicants, as some require you to put 4 years of tuition (~250,000-300,000?) in an escrow account right off the bat, while others only accept 1-2 international students yearly. These schools I would personally stay away from, simply because of the low chance of admittance. There are, however schools that consider Canadian applicants irrespective of their nationality, while others accept a decent amount of applicants a year. These schools are definitely worth a shot. I have compiled a list of US schools that have decent consideration for Canadians, if you like I would be willing to PM that document to you (it includes schools as well as their specific admission consideration thresholds for their friends up north).

So yeah, all in all, you definitely have options. You're clearly a capable individual who is capable of academic excellence, as evidenced by your performance in your latter years and MCAT. Don't beat yourself up because of a few misfortunate years. Take care and good luck! (oh and get some sleep :P )

-AM

Hey, you mind sending that US school document to me? Might apply to states. Thanks in advance!!

Archived