Premed 101 Forums

So...what have you done differently this year?

Guest MayFlower1

Guest MayFlower1

I thought it might be interesting to start a thread on what us "old timers" (i.e., those who have applied at least once before and been unsuccessfully "good" waitlisted, "bad" waitlisted or those who applied but didn't get an interview) have changed on our applications for this round. Also, I think it would be worth talking about how each of us plans to interview differently this year, should we be lucky enough to get an interview. Finally, it would be great if current med students and/or residents would comment or provide their perspectives/advice, etc.

I guess since I'm starting the thread, I'll kick it off...I hope this thread takes as I think we could all learn from each others experiences. I think it might also provide those in this forum who are applying for the first time some valuable insight into the application and interview process.

Academically, my application didn't change much. My academics are solid...I've got a decent WGPA (3.73 by OMSAS scale)...all the prerequisites...an undergrad and a masters degree. I've got tons of primary research experience...several publications...was a 2-year NSERC winner at the grad level...won awards at university at the undergrad and graduate level for academic excellence...lots of work experience (11+ years) in high tech and health care...

Where my application changed this year was primarily on the non-academic side. While I did get an interview last year (i.e., for entry into med school in 2002) I was "bad" waitlisted. I believe I made at least two fatal errors. First, because I've been out of school for so long (11+ Years) I spent way too much on my academic side...I should have realized, in retrospect, that my academics were already well recognized as I received an interview. I also didn't realize how important the "non-academic" side of the application is. I'm about the most balanced person I know, however, I spent so much time on the academic and work experience side that this didn't adequately come out on my application or in my interview.

This year, in addition to my academic achievements I significantly highlighted extracurricular activities, volunteering work, participation in sports, etc. This, I believe, is where the real leverage to bring yourself to the "top of the pack" exists. Should I be lucky enough to get an interview this year, I will focus on the "non-academic" side of my application. I believe reinforcing (with concrete examples) the devotion to people and the community throughout my life and some of the skills I have gained over the years (e.g., reading and playing music, close-up prestidigitation, managing multi-disciplinary research and development groups, etc.) which make me a unique person will go a long way.

The last thing I will change if I get an interview this year will be my attitude. I was extremely confident when I went into the interview this year as I am quite used to participating in intense interviews/meetings with very senior corporate people. However, this confidence may have come across wrong in the med school interview. I believe I need to tone down my confidence, pause more often, and be more willing to say "I don't know"...I think I skirted around this one a few times when I should have been more direct.

Anyway, that summarizes major points of difference on my approach between the last application cycle and this cycle. I hope others share their experiences and learning as well.

Good luck to all!

Peter

Sounds like a good strategy to me! It is true that if you get an interview your academic achievements have been recognised and you do not need to dwell on them! That is the point of having interviews- to see the non-academic aspects of the applicant (ie personality, ability to communicate, interests, etc).

Truthfully, in both of my interviews (UWO and UofT) last year, I don't recall one question where I discussed academics (courses/marks/awards etc.). All of that information is already in you application! Instead, use your interview to highlight other parts of your life. I remember discussing extra-curricular activities, hobbies, friends, family, 'what would you do if scenarios' and current events. This strategy is especially important at schools like Western where your interviewers know nothing about you except your name! If you don't tell them about the non-academic aspects of your life, they aren't going to know. I would suggest that you all start thinking about what the most important things about you are that you want to make sure that you get across in an interview....it is never too early to start thinking about these things....and you will always find a way to work them into the answers to any interview questions. Know what you want to present to the interviewers about you, don't just walk in blind and answer questions!!

Confidence is important - but don't be afraid to say 'I don't know' and make sure that you don't come off too over-confident. A little humility is also important! Above all DON'T LIE! If you are BS'ing an answer they will be able to tell....and be warned that you will often get follow up questions to challenge the answer that you just gave....The key to this, never back down on your answer - except of course if you just gave a BS answer and you really don't know what you are talking about....(See why BSing answers is bad??)

So, that is my 2 cents worth.

Cheers!

Guest MayFlower1

Thanks for your thoughts aneliz...I feel validated!

My interview this year was quite interesting as a significant part of it did focus on my academics...specifically: (1) my ability to go back to school after 11+ years and cope with the volume, (2) how my degrees in psychology would enable me to make a unique contribution to my classmates and (3) why on earth I was leaving a 120K/year career to go back to school.

My approach to issue (1) was to describe how while I was not in a formal academic setting, I have been continuously learning new areas (e.g., switching technology, optical technology, plastics manufacturing, etc.) and applying my research skills towards improving the fit between the physical capabilities, perceptual systems and desires of human beings and new products.

My basic approach to issue (2) was to describe my desire to link up the psychological/perceptual part of people with the physical side of people to deliver holistic healthcare. I explained that my classmates could take advantage of the resource I could provide with respect to how psychological issues impact one's overall health.

My approach to issue (3) was simply that "money isn't everything". I am personally more driven by a sense of contributing to people's well-being, a sense of satisfation and happiness with work and the challenge of continuous learning and improvement. I've had the big salaries, etc., and have come full circle to realize that what's most important is interest, challenge and happiness.

Although I realize that our backgrounds are significantly different, I am interested (given your background) how you might have approached these questions. Also, what suggestions would you have with respect to steering the answers to these questions away from academics to focus more on the non-academic qualities I possess.

Peter

Guest Shahenshah

this is really all quite interesting...this is my first and most likely last time applying and so I haven't faced anything like you people have yet..however I must admit that mayflower1's stats have scared the pants off me..I'm not even close..while my Wgpa is about 3.98 or so for ottawa, my extracurriculars are pathetic in comparison..Mayflower1 you really seem like an awesome person and sure hope you get in this time..

I have also almost exclusively focused on my extracurricular (which includes just some basic intramural sports, music, research (no publications yet) and hospital volunteering..nothing overly fancy here) and only when I started running out of stuff to fill the 48 things in the sketch did I start piling up my academic awards

I hope I don't come across as pompous when I say this is possibly my last time applying..it is not because I am confident of getting in this year but I really don't want to spend another year getting into the canadian medical system..while I love Canada, the bottomline is that if my own country cannot find a space for me, I will have to go elsewhere(be it ireland, carribean etc) and come back and settle in US...spending another year to 'try' (with no sort of guarantees in such an incredibily subjective process) is not something I want to consider...While canada is great, I have absolutely no qualms about settling in US..my mission in life is not solely to help canadians, but to help people in general

Guest MayFlower1

Shahenshah,

Thanks for the kind words. I must admit, a 3.98 average is impressive in and of itself! I wouldn't sell yourself short on the "non-academic" side. It sounds like you've done a ton of stuff.

With respect to the US...I've travelled extensively throughout the states. I would have to say that while I enjoy certain aspects of the good ol' us of a, there's nothing quite like Canada. While it may not be that apparent as a visitor, there are certain attitudinal and cultural differences which might surprise you (perhaps in a negative way) should you ever decide to settle down there.

I once accepted a position in Rochester, NY (almost Canadian due to proximity) as the manager of the Human Factors group for Eastman Kodak...man, am I glad I eventually turned them down. After spending a bit of time I realized that my values (i.e., Canadian) were significantly different than those of people I would have been working and living with. I don't want to dis the U.S. as it's a great place, however, I'm glad and proud to be Canadian. My only advice to you would be to actually spend a significant amount of time there (e.g., summer job, elective in med school, etc.) to see what the culture is really like. If you like it and find you can integrate easily...wonderful...but by the same token, don't be surprised if you end up feeling somewhat like an alien (literally). Just a thought.

Good luck!

Peter

I too once thought the differences were mainly subtle and that living in the US would by and large be the same. I guess it depends on where you live. I've traveled extensively throughout the US, from the very liberal west coast of California, Washington and Oregon to hicktowns in Montana, Idaho, North Dakota, Minnesota, and Wisconsin. I've been to North Carolina, where the culture is about as different as they come (a lot of the northerners here actually make fun of the south), and the east coast: New York, Washington, DC. Right now, I am settling well here in Chicago, as the people here are for the most part friendly. However there are subtle differences, mainly in the language that have come to be pretty annoying. Also Americans like to eat a lot and it's hard to say no to a nice fattening meal when everyone else around you is having one. In any case, I won't find a problem staying here after residency, but home is home... and I would take a paycut if I could practice in Vancouver (not anywhere else in Canada though).

moo

UBC Class of 2k2

Northwestern University--The Feinberg School of Medicine Class of 2k6

Guest Shahenshah

Mayflower1, thanx for your take on the US vs Canada thing, but the truth is I have lived in areas such as new york, boston etc for long periods of time..and frankly I found places like boston with such a high student population to be truly much much much better than places like toronto, ottawa etc (can't compare vancouver as I have never been there)..of course there are the annoyances here and there but definitely nothing worth being a major factor in my decision..Also, it goes without saying that, given a choice, Canada will be the place to be, but I only have so much control and I can't dedicate my life towards simply 'trying' to get into a canadian medical program with no guarantees...The thing is I cannot see myself perform academically any better than my undergrad as it only usually gets tougher..while getting marks in masters might not be too bad, I then need to get publications etc.....infact I'm not even sure if I will pull high marks in my final year of undergrad right now..so basically what I'm trying to say is that in an academically inclined place like ontario schools, this year is going to be my best year from an application point of view. Again this is my opinion and I have really given it serious thought..Please do note that I have not already given up on the ontario medical schools..but as of now, I am planning/hoping to be in 'a' medical school next year.

I however do see your point mayflower1, but so far I really haven't found US to be too repulsive ..I am sure all of this might change when I get rewarded with my first lawsuit:)

Out of respect to Mayflower1's initial purpose of this thread, I hope people can continue to state what they did differently this year

Guest Phil667

Much to my disappointment I did not get into Med last year. What am I doing this year to make my application a bit better? Well, my MCAT marks last year were really crappy so I got the initial rejection right away from most schools. This summer I took the exam again and did a lot better, so I don't have to worry about that anymore.

I did get one interview last year (despite my MCAT) but I guess I didn't make a good impression since I later got the boot. The interview is the area that I need to work on the most this round. Since I only had the one interview last year I was fairly nervous for it and may have portrayed some of that in the interview. Maybe this year that problem will solve itself if I get more than just one interview (practice makes perfect).

As for the other parts of my application... I have quite a bit of research experience already (no publications though). I have an average amount of volunteering and EC's. Maybe I should have tried to expand on that area, but it's a bit late for that since the deadlines have passed.

Shahenshah, from what you have told, I think that you have a good chance at the canadian med schools. Don't be too quick to downplay your chances.

Phil

The deadline for all that stuff is the interview... so, you've got LOTS of time to get some more things to talk about. ;) Unless you absolutely don't have time, really, what's stopping you from getting some more experience? No such thing as too much.

Guest phantom8

Peter,

I think you have a good plan for this year. What I like the most is how you've come up with a specific way to improve the interview, which can be difficult considering how subjective the whole experience is.

I found it interesting that you were asked a lot of academic questions. Like aneliz, I wasn't asked very many academic-type questions. The questions I was asked were more of the "human resources" variety which automatically meant I had to focus on how I deal with difficult situations, etc.

I especially found it interesting that your interviewers treated your Psychology degree as if it was very "different" by asking you how you could contribute to your potential colleagues with that background. While I was never asked that question point blank in my interviews, I did convey in my interviews WHY it was that I did a Psychology degree... because to me it's no use knowing all the minutiae of immunology or biochemistry without knowing how a person's thoughts and feelings are also affected. To me that's what medicine is about too... you can't treat a patient if you ignore their thoughts and feelings about what is going on and what the treatment entails.

On a more general note, I've found that it helps to apply to as many places as you can -- sometimes the schools that you've never seriously considered will end up being the ones that accept you and the schools that you really want to go to end up rejecting you. I've known people who've been in this situation exactly, and they've been SO grateful that they sent in those applications and went for those 'extra' interviews!

Good luck!

Guest MayFlower1

phantom8,

Thanks very much for your response. In retrospect, the "challenge" with respect to Psychology may have been an attempt to see how I would react in the face of antagonism. I have met many individuals in my life who really don't understand what Psychology is about and they assume it's a "cake walk" degree. So, I guess I didn't find it distastefully antagonistic :) Interestingly, many people who take Psych courses thinking they can use them to boost their GPAs are surprised by the fact that the couse was really hard and they didn't do very well at it.

I completely align with you on your point about understanding the system as a whole in relation to the minutiae. I personally believe psych has given me two main tools that will enable me to make a significant contribution to my class and to medicine. As I've already mentioned, understading the non-physical side of people allows a more holistic approach to health and healing. Also, a significant research background allows me to attack and solve problems in a very systematic and objective manner.

Thanks again for the thoughts. I appreciate the feedback.

Peter

Guest Kirsteen

Hi all,

Peter, this is a pretty neat thread, and it's been interesting to hear how some people have not only spent the last year, but how they're preparing for the new year.

On my side of things, it's pretty much pasted around Ian's board in different spots, but to provide a synopsis: last year I applied to only two MD/PhD programs: UBC and UofT. I received the seven (!) interviews at UBC and did not receive an interview invitation at UofT. In the UBC interviews, only two of the four PhD interviews had that "feel good" feeling about them, but the other two did not. As to the UBC MD interviews, I had a great time chatting with my interviewers and felt that both interviews went quite well. I ended up receiving a conditional acceptance to the UBC MD program, based upon my acceptance to the PhD part of the program. In the end I didn't receive the PhD program acceptance so I had to give up my spot in the MD program.

Ironically though, and as part of a back-up plan, I also applied to the same graduate program at UofT--Epidemiology--and successfully gained entrance. So I left an 8-year career in high tech sales and marketing behind in May and accepted a job as a research assistant for the Office of International Surgery. My new office is located within one of the largest burn units in North America, so the atmosphere and people are just a tad different from working amongst teams of engineers and sales people trying to ink big deals! In any case, we worked pretty hard over the summer to design and conduct a research project on the impact and efficacy of technology on the practices of surgeons in developing countries, which has been not only a hugely enriching experience, but also, one that should hopefully earn us a wee spot in a big journal sometime soon. So those are two pretty different changes from last year--no more full-time job, and the addition of M.Sc. work.

As to other bits, prior to embarking on the new research role in May, I took a 10-day breather and worked only the legs and lungs on a bike trip in Sardinia and Corsica, which was fab. Also, I've always had lots going on extracurricularly over the years (essential stuff in maintaining some sanity while doing the full-time work/school thang!); however, I tried my hand at a few different activities this year as well. One that I've wanted to do for a long while (and would love to incorporate as part of my future career) is teach the sciences. I've taught groups of people how to play squash for a couple of years in a row and it was brilliant--it's great to see people develop and learn new skills. So I accepted a few posts through the UofT Faculty of Medicine to teach some high school OAC classes about genetics, biochemistry and biotechnology this year. What fun! Also, I've never been one to be involved in school or organizational politics just for the heck of it; however, given that I see some good room for evolution within my current academic department, I took advantage of a surprise executive committee opening and filled the guy's spot. We'll see how easy it ends up being to turn some oil tankers!

Finally, I guess the other two things that I've had a little more time for these past months are a couple of sports. I've wanted to spend more time with my dad (he's perpetually hellishly busy, as a business owner) and have managed to do so over the summer, and killed another proverbial birdie (pun int.) with one stone, by learning how to play golf. Man, what a brilliant sport! The golf course is such a serene spot to hang in for five hours. Trouble is, those five hours plus the time spent on the driving range to hone the drives. Gads--golf is a total time eater. The other sport is squash--my on/off paramour. I've been heavily involved in the squash circuit for quite a few years now, and have been captaining our varsity team for a bunch o' years. Typically, squash is not too much of a summer sport and so those who have the willpower to hole themselves in a boxed-in room over the summer while the beautiful weather is out, often have a good leg up on the competition, come the fall. Given the radical new schedule, I've been able to play tons of squash these past months and have taken in some clinics and lessons, and am quite looking forward to this season's fast-approaching litany of tournaments.

On a completely different tack--the interviewing process. If I'm fortunate enough to receive any interviews this year (and I'm applying exclusively to MD programs given that I'm already doing the grad work that I wanted to do) I'll probably approach them the same way that I approached the UBC MD interviews last year. Don't underestimate the value of extensive interview preparation. Practice, practice, practice and know your values, drives, and the ins and outs of your future career backwards. It's a pity to make it to the interview stage and blow it by underestimating the skills of your co-applicants.

That's enough me-me-me-ing, methinks. ;)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Biochem10

Kirsteen,

Just out of curiousity, I would like to know more about your research background and undergrad. I'm applying to the MD/PhD program at McGill and U of T this year. I have also chosen to apply to Mac because I think it would be a great program and I could do research after my MD anyway. I'm a little worried about the whole process because, frankly, I think I'm out of my league! I'm finishing a biochemistry degree and have worked in research labs for the past 3 years. (no publications though) I have a GPA of 3.7 and my MCAt score was fine for U of T and McGill. My extracurriculars are not extensive, my summer research positions really did take up a lot of my time and I'm not really a sports enthusiast (I do like outdoor activities such as biking, running and swimming). Anyway, if you could shed some light on the whole process it would greatly help.

'

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there Biochem10,

I don't really know too much about the McGill MD/PhD program, but the UofT program is mighty healthy! Last year, I believe, there were ~40 applicants to the program, roughly half of whom were interviewed. I've heard that the applicants come from all sorts of different backgrounds generally, so I wouldn't fret too much about being alone in a sea of uber-qualified people. Try to obtain some meaningful letters of reference to support your research interests, make sure you know why you'd like to be involved in the clincian scientist side of things, (as grad school and theses are no fun if you're not totally into it!), and see where it takes you.

Regarding research, I'd fancied it for a while and tried both basic science and epidemiological research during undergrad and postgrad years, prior to deciding what I'd like to do. (I did a 3-year B.Sc. in Human Bio-UT, involving 2, fourth-year research projects; an MBA-Queen's; then returned to UT last year to upgrade the B.Sc. to an Honours, which also included another fourth year basic science research project and two epidemiological projects.) It turned out that I much preferred epidemiological research, especially given its immediate utility in the clinical setting. (I really like the idea of having the skills to delve right into some projects while taking care of patients, the results of which can help to enhance modes of practice relatively quickly.)

As to the extracurriculars, I spend a fair bit of time on a couple of sports, but there are a litany of other sporty and non-sporty activities out there that others find just as enjoyable, which are by no means less important, e.g., your biking and swimming activities. There's a lot to benefit from taking a bit of a chance and trying different things; finding something that clicks for you and reveling in it as an alternate, cool activity to studying. Aside from a host of other positive factors, when you discover something you completely enjoy, your enthusiasm and energy for the activity will naturally shine through which I don't think could hurt you on your meds applications.

Cheers and good luck!

Kirsteen

Guest Namgalsip

Well, my experience is quite similar to Phil's. A 7 in VR was enough to hold me back from most schools. I did however get interviewed at Mac. I did BAAAAD (awfull percentile rank). Although I'm not quite sure why, which is probably the worst part. I must admit, I had no idea what to do for that first 'video' tutorial....hmm, any advice??? I thought the simulated tutorial was nice (and FAKE), as I hear they all are. How can people be themselves when they are being watched through a one-way mirror? On the other hand, I thought the personal interview went well. They asked me mostly about me international volunteering and my research work. I didn't get anything out of the blue and that happened to be my worst score.

As for this year, I re-wrote the MCAT. Much better this time around. Made the cut-offs for all the Ontario schools which should open up a few more doors. My EC's, although good, are not enought in number to enable me to fill up the 48 lines (i filled about 30). I volunteered 3 months in remote regions of CR. This projects changed my life in more ways than I can ever imagine. I also volunteered for 4 years as a counsellor at a youth organisations, and all the usuals..hospital, research etc, etc. Since I finished school and have more time on my hands now, I would like to get more involved this year but I'm not quite sure where yet.

Judging by my interview scores at Mac, I would say this is my biggest weakness now. I would really like some advice on how to prepare for the interview. Are there any places that offer mock interviews? I tried it with my friends last time but it didn't seem to be much help.

Anyway, I think this was an excellent thread idea. I would like to hear more from others in the same boat.

Nams

Judging by the responses that I have gotten from several of my classmates and my own personal interview experience, it seems that how you think your interview went and how it did go are two entirely different things. My UWO interview was short(<30 min), tense (no smiles, no reaction to anything I said) and I thought, pretty terrible. I was also challenged on almost every answer that I gave. Several of my classmates report a similar experience. In contrast, I have several other friends (that never got off the wait list) that reported that their UWO interview was the 'best, most friendly conversation ever!'. They weren't challenged on answers, their interviewers were smiling and the interview lasted much longer (in one case almost an hour). This has led to the hypothesis (developed by a couple of 2006's) that, if the interviewers like you and think that you have potential, they will push you more to see what you are really like. If you don't stand out, or they don't like you, what is the point in presenting challenging questions to test the person with?

So, what seemed to you to be a terrible interview is not necessarily so! Sometimes the 'perfect' interviews are not what they appear to be it seems!

PS. Peter, I am not ignoring your earlier post with the three questions - just haven't had time to really think about them! :)

Kirsteen,

I'd love to hear more about your MD/PHD experiences esp. wrt to U of T. You sound like the perfect applicant ... why do you think you weren't admitted?

I have my heart set on doing this program, but have absolutely no idea whether I'm going to be competitive, so I'd love to hear more of your perspectives about who gets in and who doesn't.

... At least the application is so easy to fill out - no essay! And the people at U of T say that they'll throw out everything they get in addition to the resume/letters/etc :-)

Peachy

Aneliz, that's sort of what we found too. But (for the sake of balance) I'm going to add that all my interviews went supremely well, conversation-like, not too much challenging, and just over all friendly and easy-going. Maybe that's just a style I tended to lead my interviewers towards because it happened that way in different years and at different schools, and I got in each time.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there peachy,

I'm not very familiar with the goings-on behind the scenes of the UofT MD/PhD program so I'm sorry that I can't tell you too much. The research I wished to do was in the clinical epidemiology realm, which is a little unconventional when examining the research conducted by UofTs MD/PhD students (who seem to veer more towards basic science investigations). However, I don't mean that statement to be misleading as UofT MD/PhD students are supposed to have the freedom to conduct research in basically any area of interest, e.g., health economics...

What you may wish to do, in case you haven't done it already, is nip down to the MD/PhD office in the Medical Sciences Building on the UofT St. George campus. The administrator is extremely helpful and last year they left copies of their MD/PhD magazine, Pairodocs, outside the office. Having a read of that may help you gain some additional perspective.

Cheers and best of luck!

Kirsteen

PS: I'm sorry to be taking this thread off the tracks a bit, but maybe it's an idea to create a separate MD/PhD topic/area?

Guest TimmyMax

Hey all,

I'd just like to concur with what mying said about it being okay to have a very positive interview experience as well. In my two (of three) successful bids (Queen's, UWO), I walked out of both feeling like I had hit a home run (you know, the feeling you get after you've completely aced an exam). I felt in both cases that I had connected strongly with the members (not necessarily all 3) of my panel and had done the best job I possibly could. While yes, I realize that my interview experience was not nearly as taxing nor trying as others, my point is that not all successful interviews are teeth-pulling contests.

The truth is that the only people who know exactly how well you did are the interviewers themselves. It is unfortunate (or sometimes very fortunate) that how an applicant feels he/she did does not always correlate positively with the final result, but IMHO, the best approach lies in how you prepare yourself. The optimal way to do this depends on the individual, but the best advice I can offer is to be yourself, not try to be someone you're not and to above all else HAVE FUN!!!

Yes, I realize that having a panel question everything you say is pretty far from fun, but think of it instead as a challenge. Since as with anything else in life, you only get out what you put in, the secret must lie in your preparation. When I was ready and "in the zone" for my interviews, I felt that there was nothing that they could throw at me that I couldn't handle- hopefully you will feel this way when it is your turn, too! Keep in mind that you are very fortunate to even be competitive for medical school and even more fortunate should you be selected for an interview. The most reassuring thought, I found, while sweating it out in the waiting rooms last March, was that you were selected for a reason by the individual schools and that they wouldn't have chosen you if there wasn't some aspect of your application that hadn't caught their eye. Just keep this in mind and eventually, when you are a first-year med pondering life on a dreary Sunday in October, it'll all begin to make sense. If you don't see it now, don't worry, you will! Until then, study hard and do the best you can- the rest will fall into place! :)

Best of luck!

Timmy

I realize that your message is directed to TimmyMax, but maybe my response will also be of some help.

A friend of mine suggested that I book a mock interview at the career center (I was going to U of T at the time). I wasn't too keen on it af first, but discovered that it really helped. Apparently, you can request a mock interview catered to any occasion. When I had mine, they geered it towards medical school interviews and gave me some helpful feedbacks after. The interviewer evaluated me on my posture, body language, and the content of my responses. I would highly recommend it to anyone interested in preparing for any interview. I also heard that at York, they even videotape your mock interview. Whichever school you're at, I'm sure they will have similar services. If you're no longer in school, perhaps you can contact a university or college closest to you to find out if it's possible to use their service with some sort of compensation.

I think though that even if you were to ask a friend with some sort of managerial experience to go through an interview with you, you will benefit greatly from it. It doesn't necessary have to be someone with science/medical background. As someone said in an earlier post, the interviewers are probably more interested in finding out about your personality, thoughts, and experience, than your marks.

Hope this helps!

AJ

Archived