Premed 101 Forums

High School and PreMeds and PreDents, Students! MUST READ

Guest Ibraheem

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Ibraheem

come on guys, i put so much effort in this, you gota give me some credit.. i have added allot more function to my form...

Guest DalHopeful

Your forum is practically and exact duplicate of this one. Why bother?

I am a faithful follower of "The Ian". 8o

Guest MayFlower1

I agree, your forum looks interesting, however, I am quite pleased with this forum...I think I'll keep my moniker here.

Peter

P.S. I agree with previous comments that it looks redundant...why did you create this new forum...is there something about this forum which you are dissatisfied with?

Guest UWOMED2005

Yeah, you do deserve some credit. . . it does look pretty good. But also is pretty much a duplicate of this one. Does that count as plagiarism? And there's not much info there yet, as there is here.

Plus, the only change you've made is you've added areas for Pharmacy and each specific residency. The problem is, I'm not sure you're going to generate enough traffic/discussion on those issue to sustain those threads. I think Ian would probably create threads for those areas if it seemed there were enough discussion. He did that by creating the Pre-Dentistry forum when the need arose here.

Good Luck

Guest not rex morgan

Yeah, I am kind of wondering why you spent all this time re-creating something. There is something called intellectual property. Basically, the idea is that credit should go where credit is due. You appear to be quite good with computers, but the meat of your format was invented by Ian.

Guest jmh2005

I applaud your efforts, however, I have to agree with everyone above, why not just use this site for your information?

Under residencies...you are missing one of the most important specialities: FAMILY MEDICINE !!!!!! :\

Guest aneliz

Well, I agree with the others, your forum looks impressive from a design standpoint but it duplicates the content found here.... I think that you will likely have difficulty attracting people to 'swich over' and it is kind of redundant to have two boards with identical content. I also think you need to give some credit to Ian....without all of his hard work over the past several years, the concept of a Canadian pre-med and med school forum wouldn't have existed! And the structure of both this board and -seeing as yours is almost identical - your board was entirely his creation. I appreciate that you have put a lot of time and effort into your creation - but why? What is wrong with what is here already?

Guest bcdentalgirl

Gee Ibraheem, you sure are lucky that everyone here is being so civil. I for one think the practice of ripping off websites, whether they be forums or whatever, is rude. And advertising your ripoff on the original is about as ballsy as they get. Get a clue, buddy.

Guest Chieka

Ibraheem, do you have absolutely NO shame? You made good use of your browser's cut-and paste function; the descriptions for half of your forums are the same as Ian's descriptions. What is up with that?

C.

Guest j282

I was going to start my own website/forum but its not to duplicate info here(ie Premed, Med student advice, discussion). Personally I think this site is 100% perfect the way it is :)

My idea is to start a dating website forum for med students / health care professionals. Maybe then I could find someone instead of sitting here on the forum on a Saturday night 8o I thought once I got into med school the interest in me by potential suitors would increase exponentially, but it seems to have stayed the same or decreased thanks to my haggered look and tired eyes and pale skin from having to study and stay under artificial light 16 hrs a day :rolleyes

Anyways, I've heard it probably wouldn't fly from classmates because there is a bit of taboo towards med students dating each other and doctors tend to want to marry people from other fields to "mix" things up and talk about more than patient charts or how the Gov't is screwing docs yet again etc. with their significant other.

Oh well, at least I have the forum :lol being single Rules :b

Take care everyone!

Guest UWOMED2005

Yeah, I don't think I spent many if any friday or saturday nights home alone before med school. Now it's pretty much routine, especialling the month leading up to exams. Take that, those of you hoping to be like Dr. Drake Ramore! ;)

And. . . based on his posts, I don't think Ibraheem means any malice towards this site or Ian with his own new site. But is pretty much an exact duplicate and for that credit should be given to Ian on the new site.

Guest aneliz

Ibraheem,

The problem is this: med students are busy people....we don't have a lot of spare time....most of us find it difficult to get through all of the posts here...(in fact it is a rare day when I have time to read them all!) None of us are willing to abandon this forum to switch to yours, and quite honestly, we don't have the time to moderate two forums that are almost identical...when you don't have a lot of spare time, doing the same thing twice is not high on your list of priorities. Sorry.

Guest peachy

Ibraheem,

You still haven't explained why you think there is a need for two boards. If you want to start a board that serves a different need than this one, then maybe people who were also interested would post there.

Maybe you would find it useful to start a board intended for high school premeds like yourself to informally discuss things that are of interest to you as high schoolers? You are unlikely to find an audience for a board that has identical goals to this one, though.

So, I'll ask again, why did you create a second board?

peachy

Guest Ibraheem

its for med/dent school students to inform high schools students, and for the med students to talk about their own residencies...

Guest Ibraheem

ok, ok.... i am sorry i agree with you guys..... can you guys give me ideaa, on what my topics should be....? (medical/dental related)... i would appriciate it... 8o

Guest peachy

I personally don't find it offensive. I suggest that you make the goals of your board correspond to things that are relevant to you as a high school student. How about a place for high school kids to chat about whether they really want to go into medicine? About the other careers that they find interesting? About volunteering and other things that they can do to learn about whether medicine is really for them?

I don't think you will be successful at attracting the kind of audience that this board attracts, though (primarily undergrads in the process of applying to medical school), regardless of how you rename the topics on your board.

Guest therealcrackers

Given that this board covers meds and dents, has a good following and lots of moderators, a different board might be targeted to the high school students and undergrads you want to reach by going at a different tack. Not every high school student knows they want an ENT residency after medical school after a human biology undergrad.

BUT! There are a lot of high school students who are looking at professional schools and graduate schools in an "undifferentiated way", with other programs like education, MBA, law, grad school, physical therapy, occupational therapy, nursing, social work, psychology, journalism. If you could provide information about the breadth and depth of undergrad programs leading GENERALLY to professional or advanced degrees, THAT would be an appropriate extension/derivation of this board and something worthwhile for high school students and early undergrads. It might be a little more challenging to construct and draw in an audience, but it could be worth it... if you've got the skills to construct what you have done with that other board, try applying them to a "new piece of intellectual property". And good luck.

Guest k8termd

I totally agree. I did physio before medicine and I would have loved a board like this to chat with other people in PT...There are so many students applying to other professional programs who could benefit from a board like this.

Archived