Premed 101 Forums

Top 10

Got a quick question about the U of C top 10 area in the application.

Would it be better, or more acceptable, to write this as a narrative as opposed to point form? I am finding that the 1000 character limit approaches quickly without allowing me to hit all the points I feel important.

Also interested in what activities some use to demonstrate maturity and insight.

Thanks

I used pseudo point form for my "description" section. I listed the general tasks involved and the number of hours (where appropriate). For the impact statement, I used succinct, no-fluff sentences that said what was needed in as few words as possible. Each sentence addressed at least one R metric. Pack it in and make it easy for your assessor--this was my approach last cycle.

Although maturity and insight was not a metric in our application last cycle (it replaced "ethics/professionalism" from previous years), I think you could talk about this characteristic in a number of ways if they pertain to your experiences:

- discuss sound decision making in various circumstances

- discuss experiences working with diverse populations of people and how those interactions impacted you (ex: cultural competence, spiritual humility, impact of SES, many other examples).

- ethical purchasing practices 

- knowing when to estabish boundaries with colleagues, superiors, patients, or colleagues

- acknowledging personal limitations/when to decline activities or other opportunities

- etc.

Hopefully that's helpful.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived