Premed 101 Forums

Reference Question - Current Position Of Referee

Does it matter if your referee is still in the same position/with the same institution as they were with you at the time of supervisory? 

I have a referee and he was a Clubs Administrator about 2 years ago for a year and he oversaw our operations. He is willing to write me a reference but we are unsure that since he was in that particular position and institution in the past and not any longer, it may invalidate the reference. This also means he would no longer have the professional email and contact details he did when he held the position.

Any input would be really helpful.

I think it should be fine, I'm sure they understand that people get new jobs, move on from past positions. I think it's more the quality of the reference that matters and if he's the one that would be best able to speak to your role within the club I would go with him. The work he did and his previous role is still completely valid and thus can't invalidate your letter. I honestly don't think it'd be an issue at all. Perhaps in his letter he could write something along the line of "when I was Clubs Administrator in years X and X I oversaw Y...." if you're worried about what the adcomms might think but again I don't think it'll be an issue :)

Archived