Premed 101 Forums

Last Minute Tip On Rc Section?

I Know a lot of people talk about jumping straight ahead to the questions and trying to just find them in the passage. I personally looked at the first few questions then just read the passage and made little one word notes in the margins to remind myself about the general topic of that paragraph. Some of the questions refer to general tone of the passage so this is why I chose to read it rather than just search! My best advise would be to try both techniques at home and see what you find easier! Good luck :)!

I Know a lot of people talk about jumping straight ahead to the questions and trying to just find them in the passage. I personally looked at the first few questions then just read the passage and made little one word notes in the margins to remind myself about the general topic of that paragraph. Some of the questions refer to general tone of the passage so this is why I chose to read it rather than just search! My best advise would be to try both techniques at home and see what you find easier! Good luck :)!

Thank you. Did you have enough time to read the whole thing or did you just skim through the whole thing while focusing on the keywords?

I found I had enough time to read the whole thing, but I am sure others would disagree. It will vary a lot depending on how fast you read. I wouldn't consider myself a speed reader by any means I'd probably be considered pretty average. Don't stess too much over this section, I found it to be pretty straight forward :)

I found that in the practice tests I never had enough time but in the real thing I had plenty of time... Perhaps this is because I was more focused in the test, however, I believe it was the result of passages we were given: practice tests usually consisted of 3 dense science articles, while the actual DAT only had 2. The third was on Pianos or something. The passages are also quite short compared to the US practice tests. 

Just to add to this suggestion - I found underlining key paragraph topic words helped my speed when having to go back to scan for specific things

i read it in the way that i noted any seemingly testable detail and got a rough idea of where the passage talks about things..... we had a piano passage and I remembered where they talked about which parts of the piano. If i kinda remember the detail from reading then its perfect, if not then I know where to look. I had 30 minutes left over after checking answers and I left early

Archived