Premed 101 Forums

Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act

Guest Win2002

Guest Win2002

I was wondering if anyone has used this to acquire their file at Dal?

I didn't find my file review with Dr. Hughes useful and would really like to know what I could do to improve my application to Dal if I need to reapply.

I know that on the Calgary boards ppl have used this to gain access to their medical school application files and have found it quite useful.

Guest CaesarCornelius

Hey

I haven't heard of anyone using that act to gain access to their file, but you might consider trying. I might ask you what you want to know that you think Dr.Hughes wouldnt tell you?

Dr.Hughes is a very open and honest person, I don't know what he would keep back from you. Why did you feel dissatisfied with the meeting?

You might consider just asking to see you file first, instead of waving an act in their face right off the bat.

CC

Guest Win2002

hey CC,

From what I gathered from other threads is you just fill out FOIP form and mail it to the university and they mail back a photocopy of your file.

The reason I asked on the boards first about the FOIP was I wondering if it was common practice (or at least something that was occasionally done) to ask for your file in this manner.

I certainly appreciated Dr. Hughes' time in going over my file with me. I thought he was open and honest but I felt that the feedback I received was not specific enough for me to focus my efforts in improving my application.

The FOIP seems like a common practice at U of C and I if I end up not being accepted there I will certainly use it to improve my application for the next admissions cycle.

I was thinking about setting up another meeting with Dr. Hughes now that I've had time to think about what we've discussed. I certainly don't mean to go storming in waving some act in their faces. I'm just trying to sort out what my options are.

Archived