Premed 101 Forums

Fm Hospitalist Medicine

sr555

Hi all,

I'm a clinical clerk.  So far, I've been focused on IM but have had some recent exposure to hospital medicine via the CCFP route and would like to learn more about it. Would love to hear from anyone who is working in the field or has had some experience with it. Some things I'm wondering about (for context, I'm in Ontario):

1. Historically, Canadian hospitalists have been FM docs but I've heard that we are increasingly moving to the American model where they're mostly internists. This is the case at at least one major teaching hospital I'm familiar with. Can anyone comment on this trend?

2. What does compensation look like? It seems like there's a big range of structures, from casual hourly / FFS to salary-plus. Since hospitalists get rolled into FM for data purposes, it's hard to get clear info on this.

3. What are job prospects like now, and how are they trending? Are all of the positions in the community (mid-size, small, rural), or is it possible to get a full-time gig at an academic centre?

4. Anyone care to share their experiences as regards scope of practice, job satisfaction, or anything else we should bear in mind?

5. If anyone has done PGY3 training in hospital medicine, what was your experience like and would you recommend it?

Thanks a lot!

sr555

Hello sr555,

I'm a family physician. I practice hospital medicine in a large university-affiliated hospital in Montreal. I'm currently on hourly rate for consults/clinics/supervision and FFS for the ward. I do 10 weeks of ward and the average pay is about $10000. I'm on call 1/10 weekends, averaging $8000 per two days.

My total yearly gross compensation is between $380000 and $410000, which is good according to Quebec standards. My only significant overhead is division tax at 3%. Unfortunately, I'm unfamiliar with how hospital medicine is in other provinces.

Hope that this helps.

Sincerely,

DrBenoitChen

I too am very interested to learn more about this route. Is gaining admission to the PGY3 year highly competitive (eg. similar to the EM program)? Also interested in what income is like for FM physicians practicing hospital medicine in Ontario, specifically GTA versus more rural locations (eg. Uxbridge, Barrie, etc).

Archived