Premed 101 Forums

The White Coat - Is It Intimidating?

So, recently having done some SMR rotations at a few different sites, I have received feedback that I am intimidating/unapproachable by some learners (told to me by staff) and by parahealth/nurses (told by a ward worker of some kind or paper eval). Yes, I admit that I can be straightforward, to the point and often like things done a certain way. Even though I have mellowed and tried to change, I still got that feedback. 

I wear my white coat because it holds things well for me (pens, reflex hammer, cell phone, cheat book), it identifies me as a physician (especially if working in new ward environments often), I believe it looks professional and it respects the profession, and I have found that patients generally have shown more respect for as a physician than some encounters I have had without.

Of course the times have changed and most attendings and residents do not wear their white coats. Nursing staff is not used to seeing them as much, unless it is worn by one of the older staff.

I am at my whit's end hearing feedback about being intimidating, especially when I am trying other ways to be more "approachable". All I can really think of that sets me apart is my white coat, and I am starting to think that its scaring others.

Has anyone out there have any opinions/personal experiences? Sometimes even I have an inkling that others who wear them are intimidating...

If you're being told you're unapproachable, that's not because of your coat. A friendly, approachable doctor wearing a white coat is still a friendly, approachable doctor. An intimidating doctor not wearing the coat is still an intimidating doctor.

Wearing the coat might be a contributing factor, but more because of the attitude behind the coat than the actual fabric itself. You say you're wearing the coat specifically to single yourself out as a physician. You know what else identifies you as a physician in a new ward environment? Introducing yourself and saying "Hi, I'm Dr. keith_015". If you're relying on the coat to communicate for you rather than focusing on your actions or words, that can come across as intimidating.

However, taking off the coat isn't going to help much without a change in approach. If you do change your approach and you'd like to keep wearing the coat for the extra pockets, that's probably fine too (though a maybe a bit unsanitary - white coats are falling out of favour for a reason). The way the coat is perceived reflects the person wearing it, not the other way around. No quick fix here by taking off the coat.

I gave up on my white coat in about 3rd year residency. Now I just walk around in scrubs.

As for being unapproachable, is it a consistent pattern across multiple evals or is it isolated to a certain ward or rotation? If it's not consistently been a problem maybe it's just a personality clash where you are right now. If it's been a problem across multiple times/places than maybe you should give it some self reflection and make an effort to improve your approachability a bit if its bothering you.

I don't think I've ever even noticed which seniors wear white coats and which don't, never mind perceived it as a problem.

You probably need to find someone who can give you some specific and concrete feedback around what behaviours are causing this impression to occur.  Otherwise it's such general feedback that trying to address it would be really maddening.

Yes, I admit that I can be straightforward, to the point and often like things done a certain way. Even though I have mellowed and tried to change, I still got that feedback. 

Sounds like you have fairly good insight. Do you also tend to be straightforward and to the point about wanting things done a certain way? Have you solicited others' viewpoints before explaining the rationale for how you want things done, or do you assume it is evident that there is a right/better way?

a la Yoda - what is 'tried to change'? Straightforwardness is good, but can be accomplished in either a tactful or blunt way.

If you're being told you're unapproachable, that's not because of your coat. A friendly, approachable doctor wearing a white coat is still a friendly, approachable doctor. An intimidating doctor not wearing the coat is still an intimidating doctor.

Wearing the coat might be a contributing factor, but more because of the attitude behind the coat than the actual fabric itself. You say you're wearing the coat specifically to single yourself out as a physician. You know what else identifies you as a physician in a new ward environment? Introducing yourself and saying "Hi, I'm Dr. keith_015". If you're relying on the coat to communicate for you rather than focusing on your actions or words, that can come across as intimidating.

However, taking off the coat isn't going to help much without a change in approach. If you do change your approach and you'd like to keep wearing the coat for the extra pockets, that's probably fine too (though a maybe a bit unsanitary - white coats are falling out of favour for a reason). The way the coat is perceived reflects the person wearing it, not the other way around. No quick fix here by taking off the coat.

You may need to do some more self reflection.  I suspect there's more to it than your lab coat.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe find a colleague at your level who people do NOT find intimidating and see what they do that is different from you. Part of it may be the white coat, but I don't think that is it. I have lovely, approachable colleagues who wear white coats, and ones that I would run away from even if they were wearing a fluffy bathrobe (actually, probably ESPECIALLY if they were wearing that - haha).

People find people who are genuine and curious to be people who are better to work with. When people bring you a problem, or an issue, how do you approach it in your mind? "OH GAWD, NOT THIS NURSE AGAIN" may translate to your face or your mannerisms, making it more difficult to work with you. 

I also think it's important to throw your weight around for causes you think are important. Do you protect your team vs. the outside world when you need to? Sometimes take the short end of the stick if it means the rest of the team will function better, but don't get stuck with the short stick too much. Some self-depreciating humour may also be useful.

A lot of people think I'm initially intimidating to work with when they see me, but I have never been given feedback I am actually intimidating to work with. 

Good luck!

Archived