Premed 101 Forums

Back-Up Plan: More Courses?

Hi all,

Just applied to Queen's, Western, Mac and Toronto for PT with a 3.735 sGPA so I'm thinking there's a decent chance I don't get accepted this year.  Right now, I'm trying to come up with a back-up plan and was thinking of just doing more courses to boost my sGPA since I think that is my weakest point. I was wondering if the admissions for those schools count these extra courses since I will be graduating in a couple months and these courses would not be counting towards a degree. I have been finding mixed information on whether or not schools count these extra courses.  I am also considering a one-year (3 term) masters program if the extra courses don't count and was wondering what people thought about that.  Do you think that would increase my chances next year or would I be better off taking more courses and getting more volunteer experience?

Thanks!!

Hey,

Based off the statistics from Toronto and Mac it seems the GPA has gone up and theres a chance of it going higher this year.

You definitely have a good chance for Queens PT program depending on your experience and application.

From what i know the courses do count but they have to be senior level courses if you are upgrading your GPA. Double check with the schools.

Which masters are you looking to go into?

Cheers.

The schools definitely consider any undergraduate level courses you take after your degree into calculation. You can take courses with a non-degree status, but you should carefully look into the schools you're interested to choose the extra courses accordingly (i.e.: I believe UofT will only consider 3rd/4th year level courses with extra courses).

Hopefully you do get in this year, but if you do not and think it may be due to your sGPA, taking extra courses (and acing them!) will definitely make you a more competitive applicant next year. Since the schools won't take into calculation any Graduate courses, taking more undergraduate courses will be best if you hope to try again. Best of luck  :)

The courses you take after the deadline will not be used in the decision making. However, they will make a difference if you happen to apply next year. I applied with a sGPA of 3.77 to UofT, Mac and Western PT. I was rejected by Mac and UofT and got waitlisted for Western but did not get in. So I do agree your sGPA might not be competitve for those schools but from what I have heard, you might get accepted by Queens. No one knows what the base their admissions on. lol. So we all just apply and hope. Word of advice though. You have to ensure that you ace the extra courses. I took too many courses that were difficult and ended up dropping my sGPA even further. 

Also, you can try applying to some schools outside ontario if you are open to moving. Most schools have a lower GPA cutoff that the ontario schools. Good luck to us all.

Archived