Premed 101 Forums

Influence Of Vr/cars Post-Interview?

Hi guys,

I was fortunate to get an interview at McMaster this year with a 3.87 GPA and 127 CARS (~10 VR). I realize I must have done quite well on the CASPer to compensate for the below McMaster-avg CARS/VR.

I realize the post-interview breakdown is 70% MMI, 15% GPA, and 15% CARS/VR. However, I am unsure as to whether the MMI scoring is distributed "widely" enough to really mitigate the lower CARS/VR. This is more of a question of curiosity. Those with any thoughts/experiences on this please give a shout :)

Thanks.

It's going to have an effect - it's in the formula after all - but you were invited to the interview for a reason and have a good shot at admissions. Your stats aren't that low and people have certainly gained admissions with lower stats.

Exactly how big of a hurdle you have to clear with lower stats is hard to say - we'd have to have a sense of how well people did on the MMIs and all we have our individual feelings coming out of the interview, which are notoriously unreliable. I'd argue the impact isn't trivial, but isn't crippling either. You probably don't have to knock the MMI out of the park to get in, though you'd have to outperform the average admitted student.

Hi guys,

I was fortunate to get an interview at McMaster this year with a 3.87 GPA and 127 CARS (~10 VR). I realize I must have done quite well on the CASPer to compensate for the below McMaster-avg CARS/VR.

I realize the post-interview breakdown is 70% MMI, 15% GPA, and 15% CARS/VR. However, I am unsure as to whether the MMI scoring is distributed "widely" enough to really mitigate the lower CARS/VR. This is more of a question of curiosity. Those with any thoughts/experiences on this please give a shout :)

Thanks.

I feel you, Premed23! I was invited to interview with a 3.31 cGPA and was excited that the weight of GPA goes from 32 to 15% post-interview but then I was like, wait a minute, just how much of a spread is there in MMI scores?

No advice or insight, just wanted to let you know that I had the same thought. I just take it as more motivation to make sure I do knock it out of the park.

Hi guys,

Thanks.

Your GPA is actually ABOVE average. Your VR is a bit below average

Given that the average is the, well, average, having 1 of 2 scores below average is nothing, at all, to worry about. Especially given that your GPA is not just at, but above, average

It's going to have an effect - it's in the formula after all - but you were invited to the interview for a reason and have a good shot at admissions. Your stats aren't that low and people have certainly gained admissions with lower stats.

Exactly how big of a hurdle you have to clear with lower stats is hard to say - we'd have to have a sense of how well people did on the MMIs and all we have our individual feelings coming out of the interview, which are notoriously unreliable. I'd argue the impact isn't trivial, but isn't crippling either. You probably don't have to knock the MMI out of the park to get in, though you'd have to outperform the average admitted student.

I appreciate your input. I feel that your understanding is realistic and along the lines that would be expected. Gotta get working on those MMIs :)

I feel you, Premed23! I was invited to interview with a 3.31 cGPA and was excited that the weight of GPA goes from 32 to 15% post-interview but then I was like, wait a minute, just how much of a spread is there in MMI scores?

No advice or insight, just wanted to let you know that I had the same thought. I just take it as more motivation to make sure I do knock it out of the park.

WOW you must have really dominated the other aspects of the application. Congratulations and hope to see you there on interview day. Lets get it! 

Your GPA is actually ABOVE average. Your VR is a bit below average

Given that the average is the, well, average, having 1 of 2 scores below average is nothing, at all, to worry about. Especially given that your GPA is not just at, but above, average

Thanks for your feedback. You are correct, the GPA is slightly above and that does have a small effect to counter the VR. I really appreciate the reassurance and will have to hit the MMI out of the park nonetheless :)

Archived