Premed 101 Forums

Arts Stuff

Guest Whitbourne

Guest Whitbourne

Hey guys...just a question that's come up of late since I've started really getting into writing fiction (and other arts-freak stuff...trying to cure the endless parade of science in undergrad :P ). I know that Dalhousie has a huge emphasis on the humanities in their program (that's why I picked it, that's why I'm so excited about going) so i'm wondering if there are any established arts groups or clubs for med students. Writing groups, theatre groups, etc. If not, are med students able to join groups like this in the larger Dalhousie population? Are there any listings of such groups in the Halifax area?

Guest UWOMED2005

My impression from being an undergrad at Dal is that their humanities programs is awesome. Dr. TJ Murray, who I believe is a neurologist, is very keen on the history of medicine. . . I've read one of his papers debating on whether certain historical figures (Dr. Samuel Johnson?) suffered from certain neurological diagnoses. (ie Tourette's? I think) Dr. Murray is extremely well respected for his medical work (MS I think,) and is a great supporter of the arts.

But there's also been a number of other examples. I remember in my 3rd year there was a whole art exhibition on, if I remember correctly, living with Cancer. I believe the medical school even has an appointed poet laureate. . . though I might be wrong.

Guest statementofclaim

UWOMED2005 is right. Dalhousie Medicine is a big supporter of the arts. When my wife did here MD there, I think there was even some guy called a "Poet in residence!" Students that were so inclined could get grants to do special projects in medicine with an artistic slant. My wife's classmates were a very diverse and artistically talented bunch. There were lots of professional musicians (classical and jazz), vocalists, many people with fine arts degrees, etc.. There is also a Choir of some sort that is incredibly well funded that travels and does shows (at least back in 2000).

I seemed to get the impressed that if you had a special project that was interesting, you could likely find a faculty member there with a sympathetic ear and a line on some funding.

Euphoria is another example of the artistic talent in the classes, (although the Meds will tell you that the winners of the yearly charity variety show tend to be the class with the most nudity.);)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest UWOMED2005

I remember them having the "poet in residence" while I was there just a couple years back. And I think the art book "Illness & Healing: Images of Cancer" by Robert Pope originated at Dal med school. . . at least the artist was treated in Halifax. Just a bit more to add to Dal's arts programs.

I'd forgotten about Euphoria. . . I never saw it myself. But it sounds like a lot of med schools run a similar program. We have "tachycardia" at UWO which is also a variety show. And if "nudity" is the standard upon which class's performances are judged here, than the 2005s have nothing to worry about. . . ;)

Guest MD2006

Yup, there is a lot of Humanties mixed into the the medical school, ie. storytelling in medicine, art in medicine where students make original art to display in the annual art show, a variety of electives that you can do in Med I and Med II in Humanities......there is a Poet in Residence....

check out this link for more info

www.medicine.dal.ca/dme/humanities/

Guest UWOMED2005

Yeah, it's too bad but UWO doesn't do such a great job at incorporating the humanities into the curriculum. They try - there's a course called "Health, Illness and Society," but at least in first and second year it's not run all that well and essentially a grab bag of topics they couldn't fit into other areas (ie history of medicine, bioethics, but also occupational medicine and even epidemiology.) We haven't had a history of medicine lecture since the first month of med school.

We do, however, have one prof (Dr. Chan) who incorporates art into his anatomy lectures, comparing anatomy to various art pieces. He was actually featured in a CTV story about medicine and the humanities. Kind of ironic CTV featured us, considering the relative lack thereof here at UWO.

Archived