Premed 101 Forums

U Of T Pharmacy Degree

knrosh93

I think this is likely covered in detail on their website, so I'd refer you to that to get a more nuanced answer. My understanding is that all graduate now get the title of PharmD - this is the entry level PharmD that is the same as the ones in the US. There used to be a post-grad program PharmD that was offered by U of T, which requires the completion of the BScPhm program, applying after the candidate had some work experience, reference letters etc. But that program no longer exists since the entry level PharmD program started.

After getting the degree, all students earn the title of the doctor of pharmacy. 

PharmD (Doctor of pharmacy) is a professional degree, which is different from a PhD, and different from Doctor of Medicine, Doctor of Dental Surgery etc in the scope applicable to their profession. You would refer to a person with the PharmD degree as doctor, the same way you would refer to a person with a PhD, MD, or DDS (dentist) as a doctor. When using the title, it's important to specify your role, especially in settings where it may become confusing for the patient.

what kind of degree do students get by completing all 4 years?

also after getting the degree, do all students earn the title of doctor?

I think this is likely covered in detail on their website, so I'd refer you to that to get a more nuanced answer. My understanding is that all graduate now get the title of PharmD - this is the entry level PharmD that is the same as the ones in the US. There used to be a post-grad program PharmD that was offered by U of T, which requires the completion of the BScPhm program, applying after the candidate had some work experience, reference letters etc. But that program no longer exists since the entry level PharmD program started.

After getting the degree, all students earn the title of the doctor of pharmacy. 

PharmD (Doctor of pharmacy) is a professional degree, which is different from a PhD, and different from Doctor of Medicine, Doctor of Dental Surgery etc in the scope applicable to their profession. You would refer to a person with the PharmD degree as doctor, the same way you would refer to a person with a PhD, MD, or DDS (dentist) as a doctor. When using the title, it's important to specify your role, especially in settings where it may become confusing for the patient.

To add to this, I don't think PharmD's can use the title "doctor" in a health care setting. 

To add to this, I don't think PharmD's can use the title "doctor" in a health care setting. 

PharmDs can use the title "Doctor" in the healthcare setting. You will see some, especially the older ones who went to the states to get their PharmDs even have Dr. ________ stitched into their lab coat, or Dr._______ on their ID badge. In general, younger people go by their first name anyways, including MDs.

Typically I would say PharmDs are referred to as "PharmDs", as in "This is Joe, he's one of our PharmDs" - this is just so people don't get confused.

In academic settings or when a PharmD is giving a presentation they almost always use the prefix Dr. 

Note: This is in hospital, I've never met someone who goes by Dr. in community - but I also have little exposure to E2PharmDs, most are Post-Bacc or Graduate level PharmD.

PharmDs can use the title "Doctor" in the healthcare setting. You will see some, especially the older ones who went to the states to get their PharmDs even have Dr. ________ stitched into their lab coat, or Dr._______ on their ID badge. In general, younger people go by their first name anyways, including MDs.

Typically I would say PharmDs are referred to as "PharmDs", as in "This is Joe, he's one of our PharmDs" - this is just so people don't get confused.

In academic settings or when a PharmD is giving a presentation they almost always use the prefix Dr. 

Note: This is in hospital, I've never met someone who goes by Dr. in community - but I also have little exposure to E2PharmDs, most are Post-Bacc or Graduate level PharmD.

In Canada, a PharmD referring to themselves as a "doctor" is prohibited under the regulated health care professions act (https://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/91r18/v24#BK31). I was enrolled in a PharmD program and we were explicitly told this. It might be something the profession will lobby for in the future, who knows. 

Ah that's too bad. I've always thought you could refer to pharmDs as doctors when providing patient care. Wonder if some of the exception list professions just lobbied harder... Also, I suppose PharmDs are pretty new in Canada, so the legislation hasn't caught up yet.

Well I do think it would be misleading to patients to introduce the pharmD as a doctor, because in a hospital that implies a medical doctor. I'm guessing that the pharmacist would also want their patients to know that they are, in fact, a pharmacist and not a medical doctor, because that is what they are trained to do

In Canada, a PharmD referring to themselves as a "doctor" is prohibited under the regulated health care professions act (https://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/91r18/v24#BK31). I was enrolled in a PharmD program and we were explicitly told this. It might be something the profession will lobby for in the future, who knows. 

I suppose it depends on the jurisdiction in which you practice - in Alberta (where pharmacists can also prescribe all medications not in the CDSA) pharmacists with the degree PharmD are allowed to use the title doctor, PharmD, or the initials Dr. in the setting of the practice of pharmacy.

http://www.qp.alberta.ca/1266.cfm?page=2006_129.cfm&leg_type=Regs&isbncln=9780779758197

Please see section 15(5)

But....that being said. If you're going into pharmacy just to be called doctor that's a pretty bad reason. It'll be interesting to see how the graduate PharmDs embrace the E2Ps

Archived