Premed 101 Forums

Diplôme De Premier Cycle De L'amérique

analyst123

For future considerations, people will still answer your messages if you write in english! ;) I'll go ahead and answer to the best of my understanding:

1) I'm pretty sure 4 year US undergraduate degrees won't be a problem for canadian medical schools.

2) You need the prerequisites to have been completed within the last 8 years, not your whole degree. If they have been completed more than 8 years ago, you will need to retake them before applying.

3) Your GPA is compared to the average GPA in terms of how many standard deviations above the average you are. That score is then corrected using a difficulty rating based on the R scores of the students already enrolled in said program.

Do note that for french medical schools, the amount of internation or even OOP spots is close to zero. On top of that, passing a french exam is required to be elligible so, even though your efforts are a step in the good direction, you should work on that to even have a chance of competing for these very rare international/OOP seats. If you were born in Quebec or live here at the moment but studied in the US, nevermind (although the french ability requirement still applies).

Dear Snowmen, I'll I will post an English :P . Thanks for pointing that out.  You got me  :D

A few follow up questions:

2. Do they accept and Advanced placement from College Board to cover the prerequisites? Mcgill is the only university which has said so explicitly. What about Montréal Sherbrooke and Laval ? Any idea there before I ask the admissions office?

3. This question is a follow up on your GPA answer in point 3 above:

A. From what it sounds like, the Québec university/college has to reach out to the US College for GPAs of other students at the US College? Has this been done before? Is this true? I'm pretty sure my US university would not do a custom calculation like this. It is a pretty big US University with over 2-3000 students.

B. Did you mean R scores or GPA when you said the following "R scores of the students already enrolled in said program" because the US colleges have GPAs and not R scores

All the GPA's and R Scores come from the university where you are applying and not your own. You are compared to students who did the same (or similar) degree you did over there since, as you pointed out, this is the only complete data they have.

Regarding your first question, no idea. Your best bet would be to ask the admission departments of each universisties to know if these classes are considered to be equivalent to the prerequisites.

Archived