Premed 101 Forums

Mcgill's Probation

coffeeplz

So, it's not really something I've seen a lot of discussion about and I'm curious to see how people are feeling about it. I'm not being alarmist or anything, but it's a something that happened and is still ongoing.

To quote the article, it's not exactly a small deal:

Placing medical faculties on probation is rare, affecting about one school out of 144 in the United States a year, according to the U.S. accreditation group.

“In general, probation is not common, and it’s a sign of serious concern,” Dan Hunt, co-secretary for the U.S. Liaison Committee for Medical Education, said from Washington, D.C. “You really don’t want to have this happen.”

You can read the report outlining the deicsion here, where you can see all 24 out of 132 criteria where they are not in compliance with standards. There are an additional 8 criteria where they were deemed "compliant with need for monitoring". 

Current students are safe (even if they lose their accreditation, they will still graduate), but I don't know about new or incoming students. 

Is anyone else worried about this? I interviewed there last week and it never came up, which I found a little surprising.

I'm sure that if anything could get McGill to change it's something as high profile as this, but there is still some remote possibility they might fail the next review and lose their accreditation. I would also really like to hear some input from current med students to see what they have to say.

I emailed my friend (McGill med student) and this is what she messaged me:

"McGill's curriculum and main teaching site is changing, and with such big changes comes a lot of hard work and hurdles to overcome, as expected for any institution. The probation happened when McGill was in a big state of transition. 

We're treating this as an opportunity to improve the faculty, to remain a top medical school for many years to come.. #1 in Canada this year yet again: http://www.macleans.ca/education/best-of-the-best-introducing-the-2016-macleans-university-rankings/

Quote from an article about the probation:

"I still feel immensely privileged to be in medical school at one of the top institutions in Canada, which, despite its deep roots, has not shied away from the opportunity to reinvent what medical education should look like in the 21st century."

Article linkhttp://publications.mcgill.ca/reporter/2015/07/meaningful-change-takes-time-and-effort-medical-student-says/

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I emailed my friend (McGill med student) and this is what she messaged me:

"McGill's curriculum and main teaching site is changing, and with such big changes comes a lot of hard work and hurdles to overcome, as expected for any institution. The probation happened when McGill was in a big state of transition.

This is what I've heard from my friend too (she's a med1 student). Hopefully the next evaluation in 2 years after the transition is complete will yield different results.

Archived