Premed 101 Forums

personal essay?

Guest bmw

Does Dalhousie need a personal essay? They stated that you need two reference letters on academic, do they really strict to that? As a undergrad, I am afraid I would not get two "good" reference from prof. Thanks in advance for the info.

Guest MD2006

BMW,

There are two essays that you need to complete with your Dal application. The first one has two parts, the first is the classic "Why do you want to study medicine", but the second part is directed towards those applicants who have pursued other carrer interests before applying to medicine. Here it asks you to explain why you have (if you have) refocused your path to medicine. The second essay asks you to discuss your strengths and weaknesses and how they would affect your role as a physician. Both essays can be no longer than one page in length.

In addition to the essays, there are forms where you define your extra-cirricular activities, work experience, hobbies, volunteer experiences, and clubs and societies.

I'm not sure how strict they are on two academic references, I personally had one academic reference, one work reference and one volunteer reference, so you may want to contact them by e-mail to double check.

Guest MD2006

BMW,

When I wrote them, I used single space, 12pt font, but I don't think it specified single or double spacing, it just said one page for each essay. Are you applying to Dal this year?

Archived