Premed 101 Forums

Similar Electives To Desired Specialty- Pre Or Post Carms?

Quick question for anyone who can help!

I've heard a lot about doing electives in specialities that are similar to the specialty I want to match to. For example, if am interested in EM, lots of people have said ICU, Anesthesia etc are great electives to do around this. My question is are most of these electives usually done post CaRMs? Especially since I think those are probably much to competitive to back up with. Should most pre-carms electives  be done in EM and Family as a good alternative/backup? Thanks! 

I think that it would be wise to do most of your pre-CaRMS elective in emergency medicine, since you will get to know the attending and residents who could vouch for you during the selection process, and EM is so vast, so you learn so many things during EM electives more than anything else. 

At my faculty, you can't do all of your clinical electives in one specialty. There is where the EM related fields come to your interest, i.e: cardio, ICU, gen surg, etc. 

You are definitely right that anesthesia is not a safe back-up...Family medicine and IM sound still safe, and you can always incorporate EM as a family physician. 

Quick question for anyone who can help!

I've heard a lot about doing electives in specialities that are similar to the specialty I want to match to. For example, if am interested in EM, lots of people have said ICU, Anesthesia etc are great electives to do around this. My question is are most of these electives usually done post CaRMs? Especially since I think those are probably much to competitive to back up with. Should most pre-carms electives  be done in EM and Family as a good alternative/backup? Thanks! 

Archived