Premed 101 Forums

Usefulness Of A Psych Elective For Someone Looking To Match To Im?

Taengoo

I am looking to match to Internal. And majority of my electives will be in IM.

I am also considering a 2-week psychiatry elective since it's a good way to destress following CTU. But more importantly, I think it may also add nuance to my practice (a lot of medicine in-patients have co-morbid psychiatric Dx).

Some of my friends are suggesting radiology or anesthesiology elective instead, since these disciplines have in common with Medicine.

I am unsure on what to do.

I appreciate any input that will help me make a decision.

A lot of fields overlap, and it depends on how you envision your future practice and what specific skills you may need (for example, airway or pain management from anesthesiology). I imagine consult liaison psychiatry will be useful based on what you describe. If you can find the time to learn independently, there are a lot of online resources for radiology.

CL Psychiatry is exactly what I have in mind. I want to become more well versed in the management of delirium related to infection, side effects of psychotropic medications, etc. IMO It's also a great service to enhance my communication skills, which should translate in other disciplines, including medicine.

My question is, is this a common elective taken by those looking to pursue IM? Will this raise eyebrows of IM Resident selection committees?

And as an aside, I may end up doing an anesthesiology elective as well for the very reason you mentioned. And learn essentials of radiology independently. Thanks for your tip.

CL Psych is pretty relevant to just about any inpatient service. Certainly if the majority of your electives in IM, this will not be an issue in any way. If anything, as a file reviewer this would make me think you had some interesting breadth to your electives. Anesthesia and (maybe) radiology would be good too, but if you can get some good psychopharmacology and delirium learning out of a CL rotation you'll be in very good shape. 

I would consider doing a FM elective so you have the option of backing up with (or changing your mind to) FM. It seems like with 1 elective in FM, you can open doors go 3-5 Ontario FM interviews which makes for an amazing backup. Further, I learned more from my FM core and FM elective than some of my IM electives.

Archived