Premed 101 Forums

Why Is Casper Unfair To Canadian Applicants?

Does anyone know why this CANADIAN company is charging Canadian applicants $50 (more than double) what it is charging US applicants $20 to write this CASPer test?  Even when you factor in the current exchange rate this is robbery.

Also why are Canadian applicants only able to choose from 3 test dates but US applicants can choose from over 10 dates?

I hope Altus Assessment reads this and stops taking advantage of poor Canadian applicants immediately!

US applicants also have to spend thousands of dollars on their application fees. I'll keep my $50 CASPer test thanks.

Let's break it down.

AMCAS charges $160 for the base application which includes one school.  Additional schools are $38 each.  Assuming you only applied to one school through AMCAS, that would mean $160 + $75-110 secondary application fee depending on the school, so $270 total. 

OMSAS charges $220 which does not include any schools.  McMaster is $125 so applying just to one school, it would cost you $345 alone.

US applicants spend thousands because there are many many more medical schools and on average they apply to more schools.

If you applied to all 6 ontario schools, it would cost you $840 dollars.  That's pretty expensive if you ask me and nothing to brag about.

I'm really surprised that people think it's no big deal that Altus is charging Canadian applicants more than double what they are charging US applicants

Let's break it down.

AMCAS charges $160 for the base application which includes one school.  Additional schools are $38 each.  Assuming you only applied to one school through AMCAS, that would mean $160 + $75-110 secondary application fee depending on the school, so $270 total. 

OMSAS charges $220 which does not include any schools.  McMaster is $125 so applying just to one school, it would cost you $345 alone.

US applicants spend thousands because there are many many more medical schools and on average they apply to more schools.

If you applied to all 6 ontario schools, it would cost you $840 dollars.  That's pretty expensive if you ask me and nothing to brag about.

I'm really surprised that people think it's no big deal that Altus is charging Canadian applicants more than double what they are charging US applicants

I didn't say they pay more per school, I said they pay much more overall, and they do. Yes, it's nice to have more schools to applying to. However, applying to a reasonable number of schools to give a good chance to the average application takes thousands of dollars, plus thousands of dollars for interview trips should you have a good cycle. And then you have the crazy expensive tuition should you be lucky enough to get accepted. 

So yeah, comparing the massive pile of money that you need to apply to the recommended number of schools in the US to an extra $30 for CASPer, I think I know what I'd choose.

Archived