Premed 101 Forums

Aamc Cars Question Packs Vol. 1 And 2

medway12

Hi all,

I recently purchased CARS question packs and have been consistently scoring around 70%. I have completed vol. 1 and half of vol. 2 and did roughly 54 questions in each sitting to simulate the actual exam. I also made an error log from vol. 1 to track mistakes and how to avoid them but it hasn't helped me improve.

So if you don't mind sharing, I'm curious to know how you scored on these question packs. And what did your actual score ended up being on CARS?

Hopefully, this could help people get a glimpse of the kind of performance that is needed on these question packs in order to get a great CARS score on test day.

Thank you for your input.

IIRC vol 1 (at least the first half of it) was killer and the rest of vol 1 was pretty manageable and vol 2 was pretty chill. google "mcat subreddit" if you want access to plenty of data on how people scored on practice tests, q packs, etc. and how they did on the real exam.

IIRC vol 1 (at least the first half of it) was killer and the rest of vol 1 was pretty manageable and vol 2 was pretty chill. google "mcat subreddit" if you want access to plenty of data on how people scored on practice tests, q packs, etc. and how they did on the real exam.

Actually having gone through more of it, first quarter of Vol. 1 is actually must harder than the second quarter... am yet to do the last half, but feeling must better now that I've gotten through the first quart of vol 1!

I'm finding the AAMC question packs extremely difficult. I was using EK's 101 verbal, and doing fairly well, then just bought these question packs today, and am doing way worse and can't even finish within the 10 minutes! How long do you typically spend reading a passage? 

It takes me 3-4 min to read the passage and I try to answer the questions in the remaining time. But there are some passages that I just can't comprehend because either it has too many different details to track or the central thesis is not clear. Sometimes it is a hit or miss for me - I would get 5/6 on one passage and 2/6 on the next one. I feel that the passage difficulty can be too much or reasonable and there is no consistency.

Yes, I remember being kind of thrown off by the difficulty of the first portion of vol 1 as CARS was my strong point, yet I wasn't scoring too well. Once you get through it all you will have a much better idea of the range of difficulty.

Hey freewheeler,

Thanks for your input. Do you remember what % of questions you were getting correct for vol. 1 and 2?

Hey freewheeler,

Thanks for your input. Do you remember what % of questions you were getting correct for vol. 1 and 2?

~79% for vol 1. never got around to vol. 2 (I just looked back and saw that I never did it, must have been recounting what I read on the mcat subreddit re: cars qpack vol 2). 

131 on the real thing. (don't put too much stock into this as I knew cars was my strongest section, my experience =/= anyone else's necessarily and everyone is different).

Archived