Premed 101 Forums

Dat And Application

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and this is my first post.  I am going to get into first year of uni, and was curious to find some answers of couple of questions that I didn't find an answer for in this forum.  So my first question is, is realistic to take the DAT after first year (study in summer and take it November) when I haven't taken all the courses that are included in the DAT at university?  Second question, has anyone been accepted into dental school after completing 2nd year? I believe that some schools accept applicants that completed at least 2 years at undergrad.  So, any insight?

Honestly. you can expect admissions to not care about what year you are in. Sure you could get in with a below average GPA. Every class has a couple students, but you'd need a killer interview and Dental Aptitude Test score. Look at the class profile avg, not the avg of the individuals who got in after 2 years.

Honestly. you can expect admissions to not care about what year you are in. Sure you could get in with a below average GPA. Every class has a couple students, but you'd need a killer interview and Dental Aptitude Test score. Look at the class profile avg, not the avg of the individuals who got in after 2 years.

Thanks for sharing that, thought that 2nd year applicants were looked upon more strictly by admissions. Do you have any insight if it's a good idea to take the dat after first year? Even if some of the topics included in it weren't yet taken in school?

May I ask with what GPA's? And whether it's possible to get admitted with a 3.80-3.85+?

Like Jennifer20 said, their scores don't matter. What matters is that you do really well on everything required for admission. They aren't any more strict on people applying after 2 years. That isn't even taken into consideration - no one really cares since it doesn't make much of a difference. The reason why so few people are accepted with 2 years of university, I believe, is because it is very hard to take all the required courses (all "hard" courses, especially when taken together), get ready for the DAT in November of your 2nd year, and rock your interview in April (the end of your second year). The risk is that if you attempt this and it overwhelms you it can very seriously damage your GPA, which can be hard to recover from. So be careful!

The average student in our faculty has 3-4 years of university, and some sort of bachelors degree. 

Like Jennifer20 said, their scores don't matter. What matters is that you do really well on everything required for admission. They aren't any more strict on people applying after 2 years. That isn't even taken into consideration - no one really cares since it doesn't make much of a difference. The reason why so few people are accepted with 2 years of university, I believe, is because it is very hard to take all the required courses (all "hard" courses, especially when taken together), get ready for the DAT in November of your 2nd year, and rock your interview in April (the end of your second year). The risk is that if you attempt this and it overwhelms you it can very seriously damage your GPA, which can be hard to recover from. So be careful!

The average student in our faculty has 3-4 years of university, and some sort of bachelors degree.

Got it, thanks!

Archived