Premed 101 Forums

Afmc Portal Mcgill

Hi,

I find it hard to understand how the AFMC portal works...

If I create a request for an elective at McGill and it happens to be available, will they allow me a period of time to think whether I want to do it or not or will it be automatically granted in which case I would need to cancel it if I find another one a few days later elsewhere. 

thanks 

If you request for an elective and send it in, Mcgill will arrange to place you. If they find a spot for you, according to your list of preference, then you are automatically placed in that spot. You will have to contact them to cancel. Check their cancellation policy on their faculty page.. However, c'est pas bien vu d'annuler une demande de stage.. C'est jugé comme un manque de professionalisme.. It depends on each faculty how seriously they take it..

Hmmm peede... I doubt that you have used the AFMC portal for McGill?

Yes you can decline or accept the elective opportunity if there is an elective placement available. 

It is not lack of professionalism if you decline the offer within a timeable frame. People regret and people have plan A and Bs. 

Seriously, for clinical electives, rather than focussing on refusing electives, try to apply to electives that interest you the most! Also, you might not even get the clinical electives you prefer, it happens.

The only guarantee that you have is with your home faculty, where you have more opportunites of landing an elective. Each faculty places its own students before other students, you might have more chance at home school if your time frame is short!

If you request for an elective and send it in, Mcgill will arrange to place you. If they find a spot for you, according to your list of preference, then you are automatically placed in that spot. You will have to contact them to cancel. Check their cancellation policy on their faculty page.. However, c'est pas bien vu d'annuler une demande de stage.. C'est jugé comme un manque de professionalisme.. It depends on each faculty how seriously they take it..

Hahah sorry! No, I did not apply yet, I had heard from other people but maybe I misunderstood. I know there is a deadline where it is unprofessional to cancel your elective, I think its around 8 weeks before your stage date

My experience: I applied to an elective at McGill, then they offered me a place with a short deadline to confirm/decline.

Also, you can cancel an elective without having any "breach of professionalism" added to your file, as long as you cancel/modify it before the final deadline to do so (about 6-8 weeks before the 1st day of the elective).

For the short deadline, I think that you would better contact the McGill administration to find out. I think that it is listed on the AFMC portal, and the person replies very quickly.

For exact answers, it is always better to contact the faculty's administration. On the forum, we are just a bunch of medical students who might not be in the same situation as you are, and policies do change every year. So I really suggest that if you are worried about cancelling and unprofessionalism, your best bet is to contact McGill's AFMC administration stuff. 

ok, thanks and what was the short deadline like?    you mean a few days only?

Archived