Premed 101 Forums

What Are My Chances

Hi,

I am currently doing a research based masters program at UofT, and I did a 5-year undergrad at Uof . I did really bad in my first two years, however, i improved semester by semester and year by year 

I know that Western looks at my best two years GPA which is 3.92 (88.15%)

UofT looks at my all-years except my first year which is going to be 3.72

And US look at my science GPA and my cGPA which are 3.03, and 3.54, respectively

Considering that I am doing a masters degree, I assume that I have a chance at Western if I get a great score in DAT, but i was wondering with the low science GPA what are my chances for US. Should I write US DAT in summer and apply for US schools early in the cycle or its just waste of time and money? 

I would greatly appreciate your help

Thank you

Hi,

I am currently doing a research based masters program at UofT, and I did a 5-year undergrad at Uof . I did really bad in my first two years, however, i improved semester by semester and year by year 

And US look at my science GPA and my cGPA which are 3.03, and 3.54, respectively

Considering that I am doing a masters degree, I assume that I have a chance at Western if I get a great score in DAT, but i was wondering with the low science GPA what are my chances for US. Should I write US DAT in summer and apply for US schools early in the cycle or its just waste of time and money? 

Thank you

If you havent wrote the DAT yet, you're already going to be late for the US cycle. Don't bother, unless it is very different then medicine, where you generally want to apply in June/July latest.  

I'd wait and try Canada first for the upcoming cycle. Seem to have a decent shot at western for sure.

Hi,

Thank you

it's usually not a good idea to bank on only one school, but I would agree with Commons that your best bet is Western. Your GPA is competitive, you have bonus points for Master's and you likely have a good amount of research experience in your master's which will really help your case. You should work on your ECs and study hard for your DAT. Do some shadowing, volunteering, working, etc. If you need help you can PM me and I can tell you a good way to prepare for the DAT. 

Best of luck!

Edit: not sure about you personal circumstances, but I really recommend that since you have a good chance at Canadian schools that you focus your efforts there. IMO US schools should only be considered if an applicant has extremely low chances for Canadian admission. However I'm sure many would disagree.

If you havent wrote the DAT yet, you're already going to be late for the US cycle. Don't bother, unless it is very different then medicine, where you generally want to apply in June/July latest.  

I'd wait and try Canada first for the upcoming cycle. Seem to have a decent shot at western for sure.

it's usually not a good idea to bank on only one school, but I would agree with Commons that your best bet is Western. Your GPA is competitive, you have bonus points for Master's and you likely have a good amount of research experience in your master's which will really help your case. You should work on your ECs and study hard for your DAT. Do some shadowing, volunteering, working, etc. If you need help you can PM me and I can tell you a good way to prepare for the DAT. 

Best of luck!

Edit: not sure about you personal circumstances, but I really recommend that since you have a good chance at Canadian schools that you focus your efforts there. IMO US schools should only be considered if an applicant has extremely low chances for Canadian admission. However I'm sure many would disagree.

Thank you very much. I really appreciate your help 

Archived