Premed 101 Forums

Getting Ccfp-Em From The Us

TechToMD

Hello,

So I've been looking more into the option of CCFP-EM. As I understand this concept of the 2+1 only exists in Canada, right? I assumed that the +1 in EM is only offered in Canada. But then I read the following:

http://www.studentdo.ca/#!emergency/afppz

Can someone explain to me more clearly what he did? It says he got a fellowship in Emergency Medicine at the University of Tennessee after an FM residency and then came back to Canada to practice as an EM doctor in both Ontario and Alberta.

If I write my USMLE's and do FM from Canada, can I apply for these US fellowships at the same time as CCFP-EM to increase my chances? I want to practice in Canada, preferably Ontario.

Does anyone know someone who has done this before?

Thanks.

Hello,

So I've been looking more into the option of CCFP-EM. As I understand this concept of the 2+1 only exists in Canada, right? I assumed that the +1 in EM is only offered in Canada. But then I read the following:

http://www.studentdo.ca/#!emergency/afppz

Can someone explain to me more clearly what he did? It says he got a fellowship in Emergency Medicine at the University of Tennessee after an FM residency and then came back to Canada to practice as an EM doctor in both Ontario and Alberta.

If I write my USMLE's and do FM from Canada, can I apply for these US fellowships at the same time as CCFP-EM to increase my chances? I want to practice in Canada, preferably Ontario.

Does anyone know someone who has done this before?

Thanks.

If you look that person up, they don't actually have EM qualification in Canada, just FM. They may be practicing in an EM department, since FM docs can do that without a +1 (typically in remote locations), but they aren't certified like a Royal College or FM+1 doc would be. The fact that they graduated over a decade ago, when the job market was still quite favourable, probably helped a fair bit if they did land a full-time EM job in a non-remote location without recognized EM certification. I wouldn't bank on being able to repeat their path.

Archived