Premed 101 Forums

Final Class Average - Cegep

Hello,

Our teacher said that the final average he submitted to the college was 70% but the final class average that appears on our transcripts is 74%. How come the average went up? Can the college increase the average submitted by the teacher?

There are many reasons why final averages go up, and it is more common for final averages to go up rather than down.

- The averages on your transcript (and your final R score) do not take into account any grades under 50%. So all those who got under 50% will not be part of the final average, causing it go up by a few points.

- Many students take make-up final exams in January or June, and this may contribute to the final class average being different.

- Unless your teacher is the ONLY teacher teaching that class, there are other classes that also have final class averages. The average on your transcript is an average of all the class averages that have the same course code. 

CEGEPs rarely increase the average submitted by the teacher. Unless, the average is abnormally low (like a failing average), then there is little to no chance that the college will raise the average. And if they do raise the average... Then they would have to raise everyone's final grade. And based on how the R score is calculated, I highly doubt that would make any difference. The one time I've seen an average being raised is in one of the organic chem 1 classes in my year, the average going into the final was 58 and the teacher raised it to 61. Apparently, the teacher was terrible. 

Anyway, the moral of the story is don't sweat it. You have no control over the class average, so don't worry about it! :) 

There are many reasons why final averages go up, and it is more common for final averages to go up rather than down.

- The averages on your transcript (and your final R score) do not take into account any grades under 50%. So all those who got under 50% will not be part of the final average, causing it go up by a few points.

- Many students take make-up final exams in January or June, and this may contribute to the final class average being different.

- Unless your teacher is the ONLY teacher teaching that class, there are other classes that also have final class averages. The average on your transcript is an average of all the class averages that have the same course code. 

CEGEPs rarely increase the average submitted by the teacher. Unless, the average is abnormally low (like a failing average), then there is little to no chance that the college will raise the average. And if they do raise the average... Then they would have to raise everyone's final grade. And based on how the R score is calculated, I highly doubt that would make any difference. The one time I've seen an average being raised is in one of the organic chem 1 classes in my year, the average going into the final was 58 and the teacher raised it to 61. Apparently, the teacher was terrible. 

Anyway, the moral of the story is don't sweat it. You have no control over the class average, so don't worry about it! :)

Teacher said everyone passed the course. There was no make-up final and this was the only section for this course in the summer. The average was not low so I still don't understand why the final class average went up by 4%.

Teacher said everyone passed the course. There was no make-up final and this was the only section for this course in the summer. The average was not low so I still don't understand why the final class average went up by 4%.

If it makes you feel any better, just MIO your teacher... After looking at your first post, I really think it is unnecessary to obsess over the R score. You seem to be an excellent student and your application in medicine will likely only depend on your cv/pn and interview. 

I personally believe that the R score is only used to see if you have the work ethic to get through medical school, because once you are a doctor, studying techniques aren't as important. So you are probably way beyond the requirements for the R score, it would be wise to spend more energy on extracurriculars. 

If it makes you feel any better, just MIO your teacher... After looking at your first post, I really think it is unnecessary to obsess over the R score. You seem to be an excellent student and your application in medicine will likely only depend on your cv/pn and interview. 

I personally believe that the R score is only used to see if you have the work ethic to get through medical school, because once you are a doctor, studying techniques aren't as important. So you are probably way beyond the requirements for the R score, it would be wise to spend more energy on extracurriculars. 

Alright. I already MIO'd the teacher and he said that the average he submitted to the college was 70%. I'll contact the college, maybe they made a mistake. Thanks for your help.

I graduated from cegep a while ago now but I seem to recall that the average used for the R score calculation is the average of all the classes that the same teacher teaches. So if your teacher has the same course on a different day their grades will affect the overall average.

Archived