Premed 101 Forums

No Shadowing Experience

Hey guys!

Is there anyone here that got into PT/OT without directly shadowing a PT/OT at their clinic?

I know that a lot of schools value experience, particularly experience working with individuals living with a disability, but is it frowned upon if you don't have it? For example, I have experience working with PT/OT's in a nursing home setting and learned a lot about what they do, but I've never worked directly with individuals living with disabilities before. 

Do you think PT/OT programs would also value other types of volunteering in the community even if they're not directly related to the rehab field (ex: school clubs, soup kitchen, other non-profits etc.)?

Thanks! 

Hey guys!

Is there anyone here that got into PT/OT without directly shadowing a PT/OT at their clinic?

I know that a lot of schools value experience, particularly experience working with individuals living with a disability, but is it frowned upon if you don't have it? For example, I have experience working with PT/OT's in a nursing home setting and learned a lot about what they do, but I've never worked directly with individuals living with disabilities before. 

Do you think PT/OT programs would also value other types of volunteering in the community even if they're not directly related to the rehab field (ex: school clubs, soup kitchen, other non-profits etc.)?

Thanks! 

Any type of community service will be valued, however, if it is directly related to PTOT, then it will be much more valuable as you will be able to talk about how it gave you some insight into the profession and why you think you are best suited for a career in PTOT. 

I understand that it's quite hard to shadow a health care professional when you don't have the proper connections, but try volunteering at a well-funded old age retirement home. They often have PTOT clinics and if you're lucky, they'll place you with a PT/OT (or just volunteer in the recreational department for a little while and ask to get placed with the PTs/OTs). 

You'll be able to do volunteering + shadowing at the same time. 

I can't answer your question specifically, and I can't say what my interview questions were, but note that even in Western's PT application it asks you to list up to four PT experiences and four non-PT experiences.

Schools value a variety of volunteering experiences - it's all about what you learned. Throughout the application process you have to explain how you became a better communicator, collaborator, advocate, etc (essential competencies of PT/OT). Show that you volunteered because you're interested in a particular cause, not that you're just volunteering since it'll look good on your applications.

Personally I didn't have any problems shadowing PTs and OTs, and in a variety of areas. They work in so many environments too, so if you don't succeed in shadowing at one hospital/clinic/rehab centre, try asking someone at another.

Archived