Premed 101 Forums

What Are My Chances? Pt 2017 Applicant

Hi PTmsd,

You definitely have a shot at PT this cycle! More so at Queen's than any other schools in Ontario but I would still apply to the rest (McMaster, Western, Toronto). Although you may not get the first round of interview offers with your current sub gpa, you may still hear from them throughout April as out-of-province applicants deny interviews. If you can, go back to school this fall as non-degree student and UPGRADE! it would be ideal to have your subGPA >3.8 

Traditionally, Western and Toronto require the highest sub GPA.. Western requires essays and U of T has CAP - both schools do have a pretty high sub gpa cut-off and less emphasis on the rest of application materials.

Mac PT usually requires ~3.8 for interviews then it's mostly your interview score (75%) 

Queen's - I would say you have a solid chance here with your CV. You just need to put everything together in well written English. I can help you with this.

Again, I feel like upgrading your sub gpa to 3.8 is your top priority even if you have to go back to school this fall and take a bunch of electives.

Best of luck and let me know if you have any other questions!

PT7 brought up a lot of what I was going to say. You definitely have a chance, and it could really depend on how you structure your personal statements. Queen's and Western often reject applicants with high subGPAs as well, so your personal submissions do play a large role. Those schools don't interview for PT either, so it's their only way to evaluate you apart from your grades.

If you really want you could look internationally, but I feel that with your application you have a chance in Canada - especially if you end up taking extra courses. If you end up taking classes don't take only low level electives - I've spoken to PT admissions at UofT and they do screen for that.

You could also look at other schools in Canada, although I do realize it gets quite pricey.

If you have other questions you can always PM me. I applied to the majority of PT schools in Canada.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey PTmsd, I was offered admission to both Queens and Western with an ORPAS 3.78 sGPA so you are definitely right there! Now, if you can find a way to illustrate who you are in a unique way via your written statement, while tying it to what makes the profession the right fit for you, I think your odds are as good as anyone's. Best of luck!

Archived