Premed 101 Forums

Abs And Personal Statement For Uwo

Hello all, I am planning to apply to UWO dentistry this year, so I was thinking of starting on the ABS and personal statement. What format are they supposed to be? Is it like a form that I need to fill in online after I've submitted my application?

Also, I read on their website that the personal statement "allows applicants to expand on the information in the autobiographical sketch and to highlight achievements and goals, or the accomplishment of success after overcoming a significant disadvantage", so do I just summarize my ABS if I've never had a "significant disadvantage"??? Do I need to include why I am interested in pursuing dentistry in the statement?

Any advice will be appreciated!

The ABS is an online form that you fill out. I don't remember the specifics but there were categories like scholarships/awards, research, shadowing, etc. You can make the personal statement so it describes who you are in the best possible way. It doesn't necessarily have to be a summary of things in your ABS but it can include other things that may define you as a person. I think it's worth mentioning what led you to gain an interest in dentistry but it's definitely not required. Don't fret too much over it you'll have ample time to think and draft your personal statement and ABS once the application cycle opens.

The ABS portion should take you no time to complete. My advice is to make a word document of all of your ECs, shadowing experience, work / research experience etc. so you can just copy and paste into the application. Similar to many other applications, you can't add all of them so be sure to rank them as you choose. You will also need verifiers for everything you put down, so getting their contact information & approval ahead of time is a good idea.

Your personal statement is very open-ended; you can pretty well talk about anything. It's a great opportunity to add a personal touch to your application and to differentiate yourself from others applying to the program. What makes you different from the hundreds of other students applying to UWO? What will you add to the program and how do your experiences shape that? Why are you interested in dentistry - beyond 'helping others' or 'the artistry' etc.? Things to think about and explore :)  Best of luck.

Archived