Premed 101 Forums

Ubc Drops Lowest Year Gpa?

Hello everyone! 

I was wondering if UBC drops your lowest year GPA when doing calculations? It's a little confusing on their website:

Q. If I have a bad year, will it be used in the GPA calculation?
A. We look at all post-secondary education. The worst year is only dropped if the applicant has:

1. completed four or more years at time of applying, and
  2. the drop year must have 24 or more credits and is not the most recent year.

Sounds like a weird way of doing things....

I think it's basically saying that they will only drop your lowest year IF you already have 4 years completed at the time of application.

For instance, I have just finished third year, therefore at the time of my application I will only have THREE years completed. Therefore, I will not be able to drop my lowest year.

The year that they drop must have 24 or more credits. So if you had a really bad year that only had like 3 courses, they wouldn't drop that.

No worries bro.

I'm not sure about mcgill honestly, was not planning on applying there.

For schools that count summer school, do you know if they get rid of summer courses for your "lowest year"?

For instance, my lowest winter session is first year (32 credits) and I also shat the bed in a summer course the summer right after first year...

I'm wondering if they would get rid of my 32 credits from first year AS WELL as the 3 credits in the summer lol. 

U of T does it the exact same way. My 3rd year was my worst so when I applied in my 4th year I didn't get the benefit. Better make sure your 3rd year isn't your worst (if you're applying while you're in 4th year) or 4th year isn't your worst (if you're applying after you graduate).

U of T does it the exact same way. My 3rd year was my worst so when I applied in my 4th year I didn't get the benefit. Better make sure your 3rd year isn't your worst (if you're applying while you're in 4th year) or 4th year isn't your worst (if you're applying after you graduate).

Damn that sucks dude, well looks like things worked out in the end :)

I wonder why schools never seem to drop the most recent year. How is a low fourth year that much different than a low first year haha

Damn that sucks dude, well looks like things worked out in the end :)

I wonder why schools never seem to drop the most recent year. How is a low fourth year that much different than a low first year haha

I think they figure more recent performance is supposed to better reflect future performance. It also rewards people who start off poorly but turn it around (presumably shows initiative & persistence).

It's a shame though because it penalized me for being a great student in 1st & 2nd year and still a great student in 3rd year, just a bit burned out (I took 6 courses and was involved in way too many extracurricular things). 

Wait so If you apply to U of T during fourth year they will still drop your first year if it's the worst one, correct? 

Wait so If you apply to U of T during fourth year they will still drop your first year if it's the worst one, correct?

Yes. They will only not drop if your worst year is your third year because that is the most recently completed year during your fourth year.

Archived