Premed 101 Forums

Ipad Vs. Surface For U Of T

I generally print off my notes but I was told that I might find it to be too much and want some sort of tablet.

If you were to choose which is best for U of T style notes and studying which would you choose?

Please keep in mind easiness of note taking on power points or PDFs , editing and studying again after.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

I used to use an iPad in undergrad and switched to a surface in first year and loved it. It's good since you can write if you want to and you can also take notes using your keyboard as well. Some classes I prefer to hand write on the tablet and other classes I prefer typing notes. 

You could also buy a keyboard for your iPad too if you want that option as well. A couple other people in my class use a surface as well and I think it's a machine that gets the job done. 

This is what I did in undergrad ...I admit that this is an unorthodox move:

1) I printed the slides, took them with me to lecture, wrote my notes on the paper 

2) I then took pics from it and put it on my ipad and read them while on bus going to/from school 

3) I would dispose of the printed notes and have the pics backed up in my computer

it worked amazingly well for me and I don't complain....  :)  :rolleyes:

I also have a Surface pro, but I can't type fast nor I like the Pen that comes with it, it took my focus away from the lecture. Note: everyone is different but for me, writing notes on a piece of paper is the easiest and most efficient way to learn

SURFACE. SURFACE. SURFACE.

I am an Apple user, I use a macbook pro, an iPhone, etc. And I don't like the Windows interface, but I have to say, the Surface is far superior tool when it comes to studying. Taking notes on OneNote on the Surface with the stylus is amazing, it's almost feels like you're writing on paper (well, very glossy paper). And OneNote on the Surface has way more useful features than the note-taking app on the iPad. 

To be completely honest, the Surface is barely comparable with the iPad, they should be in completely different categories. While the iPad is a tablet, the Surface is a computer. It can replace your computer, and if you're already used to Windows, this can save space in your bag. The iPad on the other hand, is an apple tablet, which means that you can only download applications from the app store and you won't get the desktop features, like splitting the screen, having folders, etc.

If Apple made a device remotely equivalent to the Surface, I would give away my macbook in a heart beat!! 

All of undergrad I used paper notes. Handwrote everything. It made my notes flexible because I could doodle, draw arrows, lines, etc. easily.

However my writing is awful (terrible chickenscratch) and I have always been a much faster typer than I am a handwriter. I don't know if everyone is like that but as a result I typed all my notes in dental school, because the sheer volume of stuff you have to listen to and write down is obscene; I wouldn't have been able to do it written, regardless if it was with a pen & paper or with a stylus on a tablet.

Between the two I'd go with the Surface so at least you have the choice. I guarantee there will be some days where you just don't feel like writing, especially on days where you don't have the slides (this can happen often with certain professors or certain courses) so you're just sitting there doing regular notes; in that case just being able to type up a document as the professor speaks is key.

Personally I can see typing being more useful than doodling/hand notes more often than not, especially given the volume of information. In first year the stylus/tablet portion will probably help with things like gross anatomy, dental anatomy, histology etc., but moving on, the learning becomes less and less visual and so will your notes.

I generally print off my notes but I was told that I might find it to be too much and want some sort of tablet.

If you were to choose which is best for U of T style notes and studying which would you choose?

Please keep in mind easiness of note taking on power points or PDFs , editing and studying again after.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Not even a question: ipad

More apps, better resale, better finish, looks nicer and lasts longer

Archived