Premed 101 Forums

Radiation Oncology Vs Medical Oncology

A friend of mine is interested in working in oncology in the future and is debating applying to both internal medicine (with goals of a med onc fellowship) or radiation oncology. They are doing electives in each and find both interesting.

I don't know too much about either of those fields and am unable to give them good advice. I was wondering if people would be able to weigh in on the pros/cons of each profession including working hours, job availability etc.

I've heard people who know they are interested in cancer and not so much the other stuff that goes with internal (nephro, cardio..etc) pick rad onc. Also, at UofT, rad onc residents take a physics course throughout their 2nd year, which can be appealing to those who come from engineering and math backgrounds. 

Working hours for both are pretty good, in rad onc, the hours are 9-5 depending on the cancer centre's hours. Jobs however may not be as good as Med Onc due to it's reliance on the hospital and technology. However, people have been able to find jobs post fellowship.

The type of research done in both fields are also very different - molecular bio and immunology is more med onc whereas physical sciences research tends to be rad onc.

Archived