Premed 101 Forums

Manitoba FAQ

Guest ManitobaMed

Guest ManitobaMed

I've noticed the same questions being asked on a yearly basis, so I'm trying to create an FAQ post to answer these. Please post any suggestions for additions.

As per the Applicant Information Bulletin...

GRADE CONVERSION:

Percentage .. Letter .. GradePoint

-----------------------

100-90 ........ A+ ....... 4.5

89-80 .......... A ......... 4.0

79-75 .......... B+ ....... 3.5

74-70 .......... B ......... 3.0

69-65 .......... C+ ....... 2.5

64-60 .......... C ......... 2.0

59-50 .......... D ......... 1.0

DROPPING CREDITS in AGPA CALCULATION:

(# of credit hrs completed) --# of credit hrs dropped

-----------------------

(90 - 95) -- 15

(96 - 101) -- 18

(102 - 107) -- 21

(108 - 113) -- 24

(114 - 119) -- 27

(120 or more) -- 30

Grades from the two pre-requisite courses (i.e. English and biochemistry) cannot be dropped.

• 1 year later...
Guest Godfather

B.C Residents applying with UBC and UVic marks get screwed because as of now the U of M Medicine admissions doesn't accept their English courses as equivalent, which means they toss your application before you even start. This is because the BC schools changed their equivalencies a few years ago and never bothered to let the other universities know. Only thing is, if you get your English course outlines from UVic or UBC you can send them to the English department at U of M and they will agree that the courses are equivalent and then you can take that approval to the admissions people and they will be able to qualify you for an interview if your marks etc are acceptable. Thats what I had to do to be able to qualify for an interview.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 1Smiley

Hi,

If you're a U of M student, you can check out the Career Resource Centre on the 4th floor of University Centre. I went there before my interview and I found that the feedback helped. I went a couple of years ago, so I don't know if things have changed. But it was a shorter mock med interview. I didn't prepare for it. It was a good experience for me because it helped me to realize how much I can senselessly blabber when I'm nervous and unprepared (and that sort of thing is out of character with me). I even went home and taped myself answering some random questions so that I could hear how I really sound. So, I would defintely encourage you to check out a place similar to the resource centre that has experience in helping people to prep for job interviews. I think it definitely helped me out. I got some good tips from there, especially on how to answer the 'why do you want to be in medicine' question. I didn't necessarily have a rehearsed answer but I knew what points I wanted to bring up, so my nerves couldn't even rattle me. Good luck!

Archived