Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

Guest Ian Wong

Hi all,

Here's a quick questionnaire regarding the admissions process at Manitoba. We ran this questionnaire last year, and I'd like to keep it going on an annual basis so we can generate some profiles of applicants who have been accepted, rejected, or placed on a waitlist for each school. If you are applying this year, please take a few minutes to fill out the below questions. :)

Please keep all replies focussed as answers to the below; I will delete any non-answers in this thread. If you have any questions, please start a new thread so that this one stays on topic. Please check out the big thread in the General Premed Forum as well to let us know which schools accepted you, and which ones waitlisted you or rejected you: pub125.ezboard.com/fpremed101frm0.showMessage?topicID=648.topic

If you can copy and paste the below form, and fill it out, that'd be awesome. If you want to contribute your GPA and MCAT stats in addition, that's great too. :)

------

I'm a (Province) resident in (undergraduate or graduate) studies. My GPA was (XYZ) and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: (x)

Verbal: (y)

Biological Sciences: (z)

Written Sample: (z)

I was (accepted/rejected/waitlisted) by Manitoba. This is my (first/second/third/more than third) time applying to this school.

Of all the schools I applied to, I'd like to attend (XYZ Med School) as my first choice.

------

Ian

I'm a Out of Province resident in undergraduate studies.

I was accepted by Manitoba. This is my first time applying to this school.

Of all the schools I applied to, I'd like to attend Western, Queens and Manitoba Med School as my first choice.

Stats: MCAT 10-13-13-Q

AGPA: 4.45/4.5 (3.94 on Ontario scale)

Guest brandonite

I'm a Manitoba resident in undergraduate studies.

I was accepted by Manitoba. This was my first time applying to the school.

Of all the schools I applied to, I'd like to attend Duke as my first choice, but they rejected me post-interview. Manitoba is my second choice.

Stats: MCAT 13/15 - 13 - 12 - Q

AGPA: 4.35/4.5 on the Manitoba scale

Guest OT girl

I'm a Manitoba resident and I completed at Bachelor of Medical Rehabilitation.

I was accepted by Manitoba. This is my first time applying to this school.

Of all the schools I applied to, I'd like to attend the University of Manitoba as my first choice.

Stats: MCAT 13/15 - 13 - 13 - Q

AGPA: 4.2/4.5 on the Manitoba scale

• 1 year later...
Guest MDSMelissa

I'm an Ontario resident just (December) finished my undergraduate degree in Health Sciences at Brock University. My GPA was (3.89) and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: (12)

Verbal: (10)

Biological Sciences: (10)

Written Sample: (O)

I was rejected by Manitoba. This is my first time applying to this school.

When I emailed the admissions office to find out why, I was given the response "The English course you took is not given credit by our English Department." I am very frustrated with this response as I have taken a full year, first year English credit (ENGL 1F99) at Brock University. I am still confused as to what the problem was with this credit. If a specific English credit was required (ie Literature, Writing, etc.) shouldn't this have been stated?

• 4 months later...
Guest jrashad99

Well,

I've decided to get this thread going.

I'm an Alberta resident in with my BSc in Biological Sciences. My GPA was 4.0 (of 4.5) and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: 13

Verbal: 11

Biological Sciences: 11

Written Sample: P

I was waitlisted by Manitoba. This is my first time applying to this school.

Guest Win2002

I'm an NB resident.

Currently MsCS student with a BSc in Immuno

My AGPA was ~4.1 and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: 13

Verbal: 12

Biological Sciences: 11

Written Sample: N

I was waitlisted by Manitoba. This is my first time applying to this school.

• 7 months later...
Guest HopelesslyLost

Hi, I'm also an OOP applicant and was rejected without an interview. My stats are AGPA 3.84 and MCATs VR10 PS12 BS11 WS-P. Currently about to finish a PhD in Biotech at Brock University. They said that I just missed the cutoff for an interview.

This is my second year applying to med schools. First year applying to Manitoba:rolleyes

Guest Quest82

That is weird. I am also considered out of province and I got an interview with 3.9AGPA and 8.75 MCAT average. I am from Manitoba, but spent the last 5 years at Queen's. Admissions told me that I would be considered OOP because I did not graduate from the U of M or U of W. I think the automatic rejection sounds fishy too me OR someone lied to me about being OOP.

• 1 month later...
Guest iceapatel

Hey all, I am OOP (Univ. Waterloo) and I have an interview next month.

Not sure what my AGPA is (I don't know how they calculate it), but my MCAT's are VR=10, PS=9, BS=11, WS=R.

- Anish

Guest ManitobaMed

Hey Quest82,

Anyone who graduated highschool in Manitoba is considered in-province, so you likely were considered as such. I'm not sure why admissions would have told you otherwise.

• 1 month later...
Guest Quest82

Ya, I called to make sure that I was considered "in province" and they said that I was but that someone who graduated from the U of M had a better chance.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest fever meds

Accepted May 6, 2005

I'm a Manitoba resident in a 3 year undergradute porgram. My aGPA was ~4.45 and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: (12)

Verbal: (10)

Biological Sciences: (11)

Written Sample: (Q)

I recieved an early admission from Manitoba. This is my first time applying to this school. I was also awarded a $5000 entrance scholarship (my intetion is to show that even a medium range 33 can get you one! (and not to brag) - I didn't think it would be possible.)

I applied to Queens, Western and Manitoba. Manitoba was always my first choice although I had serious consideration with Western.

Guest mosquitoba

fever meds - CONGRATULATIONS! your stats (mcat, gpa) are nearly IDENTICAL to mine (mcat 11/10/13/Q, gpa 4.45). how did you feel your interview went? ahhhhhhhhhhh now i'm freaking out!

mosquitoba

Guest mosquitoba

also fever - are you inprov? i'm in wpg but we don't usually get our mail this early in the morning.... do we?!

Guest mosquitoba

I never thought I would be typing this post, but here I am! I just found out today that I've been accepted to the University of Manitoba. I'm a Manitoba resident, just graduated from a 4 year BScH.

I have also been accepted at U of C, and am waiting to hear back from UWO and Queens.

MCAT (mcraps! ;) ): 11 PS, 10 VR, 13 BS, Q writing

aGPA: 4.5

This is my first time applying to any medical school. Manitoba is my first choice school!

YAY! See you all in September! (or, August 22nd I guess!)

Mosquitoba

Guest sweetstuff25

congrats fevermeds and mosquitoba. you guys have awesome stats. anyone mind if i ask what are some of your extracurrics were and what books you used to study the mcat? the mcat is too hardcore!

Guest fever meds

In response to SweetStuff25:

Extracurrics:

ER volunteer, lab TA for chemistry, worked in a research lab for new cancer therapies, shadowed a few doctors, and a lot of other activities but those are the main ones.

I highly recommend getting involved in a health care area. When the interview panel asks questions on say "why doc? or what do you like about medicine" having had the exposure to different areas gives one a broad base to draw from and the ability to relate answers back to their experiences. I firmly believe that being able to integrate these types of experiences into the interview is very important.

Don't feel you have to have all of the things I had. But you should have at least one health care related activity otherwise you will have no real insight into medicine aside from what you've heard, which makes the interview more difficult.

MCAT prep:

I took the Kaplan course, and did all the practice material. Having practice exams, and the material was the most important part.

I bought tons of other books (on sale now!) but the one I would recommend is ExamKrackers 101 passages in Verbal Reasoning.

Good luck!

Guest andrewuofm

After 4 years of trying (this is my 3rd application), this is the greatest day of my life.

BSc. Biochem from UBC

Msc. in progress at UM

MCAT 10-12-14-O

Forget my GPA, too lazy to look

Was told I was consisdered out of province this year. But still I made it ... see you all in August unless I get a deferal.

Guest TravellingMD

In province student.

B.Sc & B.A from UofM

MCAT: 32Q (don't remember the breakdown)

aGPA: 4.08

Nearly 2000 hrs volunteer, experience working at a hospital, and rural-ties.

I didn't feel terribly confident walking out of the interview, so for any of you who think their interview wasn't as strong as it should have been, you may be wrong.

Still excited about receiving my letter Friday. This is my first time applying to med school, and UofM is my first choice.

Guest studentz

Im in!:D aGPA~4.1 MCAT 36S, OOP student.

After the disappointment last year, this is such a great day and with the great weather here in Toronto therwe will be some celebrating today!! If Reneta from Winnipeg who took TPR training last year in Toronto is on this board, thanks for encouraging me to apply to UM.

I'll send the $500 in but wait to here from the Ontario schools, particularly Western and Toronto.

Wow, what a relief!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived