Premed 101 Forums

"Return to Sender"

Guest Ollie

Hi there,

I just got an e-mail from admissions that a letter they sent me has been returned to them. They sent it to my old address despite the fact that I informed them in November that I was moving and gave them my new address.

So, do they only send letters to interviewees, or might this be a "Thank you for your application, unfortunately we are not able to offer you an interview...." letter. I'm OOP so I'm having a slight panic attack that I may need to start planning a trip to Winnipeg.

Guest CareBear15

I hope the letter is good news, and I don't think you'll be needing to plan a last minute trip to Winnipeg because a few documents (i.e. autobiographical sketch, reference letters) have to be sent in before you actually get an interview date.

Guest coastal79

Isn't that stupid about having to send in the essay and all that other shite BEFORE getting your interview date! Anyways, they do send you a letter either way, good or bad. However, you shouldn't have to wait too long. I called last Friday, figuring that the letter had gotten lost (it had), they couriered it, and it arrived today (actually yesterday, but I wasn't home). Try asking them for the verdict over the phone, they let me know. Good luck.

Guest PerfectMoment

if i may ask, what were your stats like? what kind of extracurriculars did you have? i'm interested in the type of people that the UofM takes. thanks

Guest coastal79

As far as I know U Man doles out interviews based only on one's MCAT score and adjusted GPA. The extracurric side will only come into play when they figure out a Personal Assessment Score. The Faculty of Medicine's webpage can give you fairly detailed MCAT and AGPA stats for both in-province and OOP from last year.

I don't mind giving you my stats:

MCAT: 35S

Undergraduate GPA (OMSAS): 3.6

Graduate GPA (MSc): 4.0

I have a bunch of extracurriculars: National Team Level Sports, Coaching Skiing, Volunteering since HighSchool in a bunch of different fields, Volunteering in Central America...I've done quite a bit I guess. Anyway, the letter said they only interview 50 people for OOP and my guess is that the 3.6 is NOT in the top 50. I'm thinking that they also may have cut me because of a biochem course I took--may not have met their criteria. I hope this is informative to everyone and I hope you all get the interviews your hoping for!!

Guest PerfectMoment

i hope you get in SOMEWHERE. it'd be disheartening to know that someone with overall application gets rejected. was uofm your top choice? or were you just applying to anything and everything in hopes of getting as many acceptances as possible?

Don't burn me for saying U of M was not my first choice (if I had my choice). Clearly, I wasn't U of M's either so I guess it's a moot point. I don't have anything against U of M or the program--I just don't have any personal connection to Manitoba in general. As for schools--I've applied to quite a few in hopes of getting interviews at as many places as possible (keeping my fingers crossed). Unfortunately, a 3.6 overall GPA doesn't make me all that competitive at OOP schools, but you never know. Thanks for the positive encouragement PerfectMoment--much appreciated during these completely unpredictable times.

Guest coastal79

good luck taos. From the brief bit that you wrote about yourself, it sounds like you are an excellent candidate. It's strange, I'm the opposite of you. I'm in BC, and from looking at the criteria for getting an interview, I think UBC is the school I have the least chance of getting an interview at-I wasn't even close last year. However, I think I have a good shot at many other schools. Crazy crazy crazy. I guess I'll see.

cheers

Guest PerfectMoment

i don't see many non-manitobans wanting to come here either. the winters can be... rough. there are tons of manitobans wanting to leave here the first chance they get too... i don't blame them. i even question whether or not i really want to stay here for school, or even just to live.

now portland on the other hand... :lol

Guest jackiedirks

OH god...

here we go another self-denigrating Manitoban! Yes its cold here okay??? At the moment and most of the time it is no colder than most of Canada, excluding the west coast. As for stuff to do- well Toronto its not, but I'm never lacking for things to do. I don't get when people say there is nothing to do in this city- don't you people have any friends??? Do you really sit at home and lament for the lack of pretentious clubs? Does it really upset you that Bono doesn't visit more often?

(Manitoba also has a med program that is very innovative and respected. We also have a very close-knit class that is a ton of fun. If you turn down the program for low numbers of Starbucks within the city or something equally as ridiculous it will be your loss.)

Sure it's cold in Manitoba but it's cold in Toronto too. As for things to do--if you like the outdoors like I do, it doesn't make a damn bit of difference where you are. If you like clubs and theatre and all the rest of it, you probably aren't going to have that much to do all those things anyway while in Med School. I think Manitoba would probably be a great place to live for awhile and I would have to say that all of the Canadian Medical Schools are on par with one another in terms of the quality of education you will receive.

Guest jackiedirks

Taos77- my rant wasn't directed at you, it was to that other guy who wants to move to Portland. I guess i just have a problem with people from this province who have the "grass is greener" syndrome. What you've said is absolutely right- i think to choose a med school based on the city it is in is a bit short sighted- you aren't going to have a whole lot of time to see the town while you are in school anyway. I think this becomes much more of an issue when you apply for residency, because a lot of people tend to settle in the place where they are placed.

I'm sure most med schools are pretty equal in terms of overall education- U of M has an inferiority complex, especially the undergrad school, just because it keeps getting slammed in McCleans year after year.

No worries jackiedirks...

U of M shouldn't have an inferiority complex...that MacCrap survey isn't the least bit informative. I did my undergrad at Dalhousie--ranked pretty low if I recall--and I got a great education, had access to great faculty, met some excellent people, and had a good time. All my friends during school went on to professional school of some sort and are all guiding and finding their own personal successes. By the way...I work with two people who both graduated from U of M med school and they're now neurosurgery residents just completing their PhD's. Not so shabby...sounds like Manitoba got them pretty far.

• 1 month later...
Guest byjude

I've never been to Winnipeg, so this is totally an assumption, but it seems to me like the cities that are more isolated tend to foster a greater community spirit and make greater attempts for a supportive environment for their citizens. Sure, Toronto has lots of clubs and people, but everything is mismash and it sometimes seems like the city lacks a soul. It's just a bunch of stuff but no coherence; most people who "live" in Toronto actually live 10km away from downtown. Lots of areas of downtown are ghost towns (eg the business district) outside of business hours. There aren't a lot of parks downtown. There are tons of things to do, but no coordination, and you have to find them all yourself.

On the other hand, Ottawa, which I know better but imagine is more like Winnipeg in this sense, is pretty isolated, and yes, colder than Toronto, but somehow seems to promote outdoor activity more than Toronto or most other southern Ontario cities for that matter. It's pretty much on its own, so the city puts more effort into cohesiveness and variety of services and making live liveable for its citizens, rather than squabbling with the outlying cities and regions where its workers actually live. I could be totally wrong, but I imagine that's a lot like how Winnipeg works too, being more isolated has caused it to forge its own identity and existence rather than being everything and nothing all at once.

Archived