Premed 101 Forums

Residency Placement

Guest deeds16

Guest deeds16

Hi All,

Out of curiosity, is it difficult for a person who got his MD degree in Winnipeg (U of M) to do his residency in Toronto? A med student recently told me that they would have to go through pretty much the same procedure a foreign doctor would have to go through to get into an Ontario residency. Is that true? If not, what is the procedure?

Wow. I'm shocked that a Medical Student would tell you that - as they are wrong. Believe it or not the University of Manitoba Medical school is a a Canadian Medical School and therefore participates in the CARMS match each year (along with the rest of the Canadian Medical Schools). :D

It does NOT matter which school you graduate from in Canada (I believe there are exceptions in Quebec) as everyone graduating across Canada participates in the match (first round).

www.carms.ca/

The only advantage someone who graduated from U of T would have when applying for a residency at U of T is they would be familiar with the program and perhaps faculty.

Cheers!

Guest deeds16

Phew. :lol I've researched so much about getting into medical school and nothing at all about the process after graduating. Anyway, thanks for clearing that up. :)

Guest ManitobaMed

Just to add, I'm pretty sure I remember seeing on the match poster/collage that was up in a hallway that we had students match to UT last year. Unfortunately, I can't remember which specialties they matched to.

Archived