Premed 101 Forums

Pt: What Are My Chance With Low Gpa

Hi all, I would like to ask for your opinion about my chances for Ontario (or out-of-province PT). I'm currently pursing the last year of my second degree and my sub-GPA is 3.6 (quite low due to last 5 half credits from my first degree). I really love to apply for PT this cycle and wonder if it is worth a try to apply for Ontario PT. I know OT would be a bit easy regarding my stats but PT would be something I'm more interested in. I'm confident my subGPA would be high 3.7 by the end of this school year, but that means I have to wait for another year. It'd come with the price of having to deal with all the stress of getting nowhere after 7 years of undergrad  :(. Besides Ontario PT schools, which out-of-province schools would be my best chance? Thanks so much for any response you can give me.

yeah unfortunately 3.6 isn't very competitive for ontario PT, the only ontario PT school that accepts sGPA toward lower end is queens and their cut off was 3.65 last year. You could try dalhousie which has lower gpa requirements compared to ontario schools. But your best bet would be to wait till next year and save on application fees if you haven't thought about OT and maybe pick up a few more courses next fall before december to increase your sGPA even further.  

• 3 weeks later...

Hey there  :)

To be honest, even for OT the 3.6 sGPA is not very competitive unfortunately.. I had a 3.7 sGPA and was waitlisted at UofT and Western but I got in at UofA. Point is, if OT is not where your heart is at, it's not worth wasting application fees applying since there's no guarantee either. 

I think it's best to take more courses, ACE them, and try next cycle if it is PT you truly want. PT is very competitive in every province, so you'll want to apply with at least a sGPA over 3.8 to have a real shot with your money (it's a lot of money to apply :( ) . I'm not implying that there's absolutely no chance to get in with less than that. However, the reality is that it is rare to be accepted with less than 3.8 unless you have exceptional work/volunteer/life experiences (and maybe you do! in that case I encourage you to give it a shot at Queen's! They have a lower GPA cut-off than other ON schools)

It helps to look over universities' PT program web page because they list their cut-off (e.g.: UofT had a 3.81 cut-off last cycle).

I understand taking more undergrad courses sucks.. but if PT is your dream it is worth pursuing. It's also great to consider other options as well in case PT does not work out for you. Have you thought about what you like about PT? I'm sure there are professions that carry the same values and skills that might not be as competitive? 

All the best

Edit: I should note that I'm in OT but I have lots of friends/family in PT so that's why I know a bit about the application process.

Archived