Premed 101 Forums

Undergrad Courses Preparing For Dat

Hello Premed101 community !

I have a question with regards to what courses will prepare me well for the DAT.  I'm currently taking gen chem 1, and going to take intro to molecular and cellular bio along with chem 2 next semester.  Are those courses enough? or shall I take more science courses?

I'm in engineering, so physics and maths are already covered, but was wondering if taking the dat in the summer after this academic year with those courses seems like a good idea.

Thanks!

your probably going to want to take general biology aswell since there is some stuff on the dat about plant bio, evolution, taxonomy and other stuff that isn't covered in mlcl/cell bio.  physiology + biochem are also pretty good considering they a pre-req for all ontario schools and most dental schools in general, they also cover some important stuff. I'm also not really sure what you mean about taking the dat in the summer they only offer it in November and in February, unless your talking about the american dat, also the Canadian dat has no physics or math unfortunately. 

Hello Premed101 community !

I have a question with regards to what courses will prepare me well for the DAT.  I'm currently taking gen chem 1, and going to take intro to molecular and cellular bio along with chem 2 next semester.  Are those courses enough? or shall I take more science courses?

I'm in engineering, so physics and maths are already covered, but was wondering if taking the dat in the summer after this academic year with those courses seems like a good idea.

Thanks!

Are you taking the american one or the Canadian one?

If the you're taking the American, I would try getting some organic under your belt. 

If it's just the Canadian one, I think first year chemistry is enough. I have a weak biology background (haven't even completed all of first year biology lol) but was able to brute force/study/memorize my way through the DAT biology

your probably going to want to take general biology aswell since there is some stuff on the dat about plant bio, evolution, taxonomy and other stuff that isn't covered in mlcl/cell bio.  physiology + biochem are also pretty good considering they a pre-req for all ontario schools and most dental schools in general, they also cover some important stuff. I'm also not really sure what you mean about taking the dat in the summer they only offer it in November and in February, unless your talking about the american dat, also the Canadian dat has no physics or math unfortunately. 

I'm not sure if I'll be able to fit gen bio into my schedule since it's already heavy by itself.  Of the options I can take in second year are, concepts in physiology, biological concepts of health, and on of comparative mammalian anatomy intro or orgo, or actual orgo. 

Also, I'm not sure if this is true, but on advice I received is from my grade 12 high school bio teacher who did the dat in 2014, and did very well, is that grade 12 bio and chem help A LOT, and could be sufficient by themselves.

I'm bit skeptical right now..

Are you taking the american one or the Canadian one?

If the you're taking the American, I would try getting some organic under your belt. 

If it's just the Canadian one, I think first year chemistry is enough. I have a weak biology background (haven't even completed all of first year biology lol) but was able to brute force/study/memorize my way through the DAT biology

I am planning to take the Canadian one.  And my situation is somewhat similar.  How much organic chem, and bio chem did you need to study?

I am planning to take the Canadian one.  And my situation is somewhat similar.  How much organic chem, and bio chem did you need to study?

I've taken both the Canadian and the American. 

For the Canadian, I studied zero organic. Organic might help you understand certain concepts, but it's not necessary for the Canadian DAT in my opinion. I had to study ALOT for biology to make up for my weak background.

I would personally say that you won't need to know any organic chemistry for the cDAT. It comes in handy a little bit in dental school though...The bio and chem were quite basic and were very reflective of intro bio and chem university courses. Which, are quite similar to the high school courses I guess. I think you should be covered with those classes you're signed up for. Look around on the site here for extra resources, which will be good brush up tools. For example Ferallis biology notes. I would also maybe take that physiology course as well. It will help a lot once you're in the program (if you wanted to have an edge later on and can fit it in now).  Also, Im pretty sure that you can only write the cDAT in November and February. I think I read that you were wanting to write it in the summer.

Best of luck 

I've taken both the Canadian and the American. 

For the Canadian, I studied zero organic. Organic might help you understand certain concepts, but it's not necessary for the Canadian DAT in my opinion. I had to study ALOT for biology to make up for my weak background.

Alright, thanks!

In your opinion which one seemed a bit easier? and were the schools you applied to more biased towards the cDAT?

I would personally say that you won't need to know any organic chemistry for the cDAT. It comes in handy a little bit in dental school though...The bio and chem were quite basic and were very reflective of intro bio and chem university courses. Which, are quite similar to the high school courses I guess. I think you should be covered with those classes you're signed up for. Look around on the site here for extra resources, which will be good brush up tools. For example Ferallis biology notes. I would also maybe take that physiology course as well. It will help a lot once you're in the program (if you wanted to have an edge later on and can fit it in now).  Also, Im pretty sure that you can only write the cDAT in November and February. I think I read that you were wanting to write it in the summer.

Best of luck 

Yeah, I reviewed the topics that I will be assessed on and didn't find organic chem.  And yea I didn't notice that I typed me wanting to write the dat in the summer, I meant studying during summer, and taking it in November. I will be considering this plan seriously now, since I am still in first year, and I want to scratch the dat of the dent requirements from now, and not worry about it in later years because the course load is going to increase a notch.  Also, I have to take the other courses regardless, since many are pre reqs.

Anyways, thanks for your response!

Alright, thanks!

In your opinion which one seemed a bit easier? and were the schools you applied to more biased towards the cDAT?

Some people say the american one is harder, as it has more topics, longer, etc. However, I didn't really study for the cDAT so I found it much harder than the american (I wrote the cDAT first). 

Unfortunately for me, most canadian schools only accept the cDAT, so by not having a strong cDAT I am limiting myself. However, I actually lack alot of the prereqs (i'm a not a science or engineering major) at said schools, so I wouldn't have been able to apply there anyways. 

Some people say the american one is harder, as it has more topics, longer, etc. However, I didn't really study for the cDAT so I found it much harder than the american (I wrote the cDAT first). 

Unfortunately for me, most canadian schools only accept the cDAT, so by not having a strong cDAT I am limiting myself. However, I actually lack alot of the prereqs (i'm a not a science or engineering major) at said schools, so I wouldn't have been able to apply there anyways. 

Oh ok.

Best of luck!

Archived