Premed 101 Forums

any biochem equivalent courses?

Guest UR1FOOLINS

Guest UR1FOOLINS

I just realized that manitoba requires a full year course of biochem as a prereq. I currently have a half course, and space fills up pretty quickly in the only other biochem courses my school offers (that i have prereqs for anyway). Are there any equivalent courses one can take?

Guest moxiekat

If spaces are all full, there is an online biochem half course out of Athabasca university that U of M recognizes. It is biology 401 (Cell biology). Of course, it is all independent study time, and it helps if you avoid procrastinating on it (unlike me) :P

Guest Quest82

Although the U of M may recognize this Biology 401 as a credit, are you sure it counts as a "Biochem" credit. Biochemistry is one of the most important courses to the U of M, so just want to make sure that you are getting the courses you need.

:):):)

Guest moxiekat

I am in the midst of applying to U of M right now. The school definitely does recognize the distance study Biology 401 recognize it as a Biochem credit, as does UBC (the only other school I applied to that needed a full year biochem). I know this as I have already had my application accepted and had an interview. But thank you for the cautionary heads up, anyhow. :)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest happy2bme

Has anyone had uofm reconize their UofM Cell Biology course as a Biochemisty requirement?? I had my transcripts reviewed and they said I still needed 6 full credits of Bchem even though I had the 3 credit cell bio from uofm.

I question why they would reconize the distance cell bio course 401 from Athatbasca but not the one they teach at their own institution??

Any thoughts?

Guest moxiekat

I don't know the specific answer for why U of M doesn't recognize the cell bio course. When I was looking to pick up a distance studies course to complete my requirement, I called and asked a medical admissions office. I was told some cell bio courses count, depending on what the course content is. So I ended up in this athabasca course based on (UBC's) admissions recommendation. I'd say to call the medical office and see if the office not counting your course is an oversight on their part, or if the course actually didn't cover the appropriate content.

Guest sweetstuff25

I took cell bio in uofm but it didn't replace the biochemistry requirement. I think the reason is that cell bio is in the faculty of zoology for us and the pre-requisites require that we take biochem 2.236/237 (faculty of micro/chem) not cell bio. I dunno why they consider cell bio as a biochem replacement for the other university.

Archived