Premed 101 Forums

Ot Practicum Pants?

Hi there!  I'm starting my first OT practicum next week and I wondering if it would be okay for me to wear twill joggers once in awhile.  I only have 2 pairs of dresspants and I'm too student life (a.k.a. broke) to buy more.  Also, the only explicit rule that I saw in terms of dresscode for my placement was "no jeans".  I have the joggers in black and navy, and so at a first glance, they kind of look like dress pants??  I'm just worried that if someone notices, they might give off some kind of youngster vibe, but then again, I'll be working with kids and adolescents... So what do you think?  Yay or nay?  Should I be okay or should I buy more pants?

Thanks! :)

It depends on your setting, every place has different subculture of how to dress. At my practicum they encouraged business casual, but my own preceptor would wear jeans and zip-up hoodies.

If you're unsure, it's alway best to overdress than underdress! It's difficult to say if your twill pants are appropriate without seeing a pic but I'd say wear your dress pants the first couple of days. Once you get a better feel for what's appropriate, use your best judgement to decide if those pants are appropriate for your practicum setting :)

edit: Also- commonly in settings with children you'll find people dress more to the casual side because working with children could get messy.

Archived