Premed 101 Forums

Med Apts

Guest All Good Names are Used

Guest All Good Names are Used

Hey all, I was on the wait list for a 1-bedroom for about 8 months and just today found out I had a one for July 1, just to give people an idea of how long the wait list is. I don't know why Winnipeg doesn't have an IKEA, everyone here in Alberta has went IKEA crazy!

I've also got a quick question for anyone who knows. How far away is the nearest gym to the med apartments and how good are the gyms in Winnipeg??? I"d hate to have to go a long ways to get to a good gym!:rolleyes

Thanks

AGNAU

Guest ManitobaMed

Apparently, Winnipeg doesn't have IKEA because the company makes so much money from catalogue business here. :rolleyes

As for the gym, the Bannatyne campus gym is around 45 seconds away. Most of us who live in the med apts just change at home, go to the gym, then come home and shower. The gym is equipped with weight machines, free weights, ellipticals, treadmills, stationary and recumbent bikes, a track, a gymnasium, and a dance studio. Paying for the gym membership (it's really cheap for students and also entitles you to use of all main campus facilities) also gets you access to intramural sports.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest dhowser

hey manitobamed, I'm trying to find some close-to-campus apartments because the med apts seem to be booked until next year. Can you list some buildings that you know of that have some nice apartments?

I'm coming down sometime in the next couple of weeks to check everything out so I would like to have a couple places on the checklist to check out!

Thanks again

dhowser

Guest jrashad99

Dhowser,

Please see my post regarding a roommate search....

I've talked to some friends in Winnipeg and they said its a great apartment complex, and in a great location for med students.

I'm considering the 2 bedroom/2 bath, but if I don't find a roommate I'm going to go with a 1 bedroom

jrashad99

Guest dhowser

hey jrashad99, I'm hoping to get a one bedroom for now but maybe we'll be neighbours! Can you tell me the location and name of the complex and a couple other buildings you've looked at? That would be great!

thanks again

Guest ManitobaMed

While I can't give you any specific building names (mainly because I don't really know any), I would suggest looking in Osborne Village if you can't get into the med apts. Rent is generally reasonable there, and it's pretty close to campus (10 minutes by car, 30 minute walk). Plus, it's pretty close to everything. Just a warning, though: if you're from somewhere with high cost of living, keep in mind that ours *should* be lower. ie. You should be looking at <600/month for a one-bedroom. (In fact, you should be able to find something for <500/month.)

Guest dhowser

I was looking at a map and it seems to me that the central downtown area(kennedy street and edmonton street) seems to be a bit closer to campus then the osborsne area. Am I right?

Hey Dhowser,

Yes, the central downtown is closer. However, you may want to look through some of the discussions about accommodation that went on last year and where people like to live.

Corydon area is a great place to live because there are lots of restaurants, bars and coffee shops in the area. It sort of has gone through a revival the last number of years. Many of the people in my class live in the Corydon area so its easier to car pool (if your into that), or get together outside of classes.

Cheers,

J.

Archived