Premed 101 Forums

Manitoba Waiting Thread

Guest deeds16

Guest deeds16

Hey Guys,

I talked to Beth Jennings last week, and she mentioned that they were going to try and send the letters out by today (May 31st). (Wow, yet another period of going home and checking my mail with fear/anticipation...gggggreeaaatttt!!!)

So just thought I'd start a thread for those of us still waiting to hear something.

When you guys do hear something, it would be GREAT if y'all could keep us informed.

Once again, GOOD LUCK everyone.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Win2002

here comes that familiar "butterflies in the stomach" feeling everytime I walk near my mailbox syndrome again...

g'luck everyone!

Guest Win2002

I'm surprised no one using the board has heard by now.

I sort of figured Manitoba residents would have heard back at least. I Live on the East coast so imagine I won't hear back until 2-3 days after the Manitobans have heard. Doesn't stop me from checking the mailbox compulsively though!

Guest j100

The U of M dates are not carved in stone, and in fact I would actually add days if not weeks to the times they provide. :P Although in this instance, I think someone mentioned on this board that they talked with someone in the office last week that said letters would be sent out shortly. :P

Good luck everyone.

J.

Guest pjdavis

First off congrats to your friend. Secondly, I think that there are three reasons we are not hearing much out of Manitoba.

1) Most of the province is rural and in-province mail may take longer than in other provinces like Alberta and ontario.

2) When the first round of acceptances came out very few people I think it was about 3 or 4 said they got in and we know ~30 were sent out suggesting that on-line interest in the school is not as high as for any of the others (which may explain why the number of posts is so low)

3)They had two mailing days the 31st and the 1st and the in-province mail may have been sent on the second day so that everyone would hear about the same time.

Anyway still waiting in Alberta good luck to all.

Guest dhowser

Just to let everyone know, I called in today and Christie's answering machine says that the letters were sent out on tuesday june 1st.

Guest jrashad99

Well....not quite what I wanted to hear but not that bad either......

OOP Waitlisted.....

any idea how many are placed in this list...

the stress hasn't ended,

jrashad99

Guest Win2002

haha

as soon as i read your post, jrashad99, I ran out to check my mailbox....damnit, no mail yet! (psst, what province are you in and why does NS have to be so far from manitoba?!)

I don't know how many oop are on the waitlist but last year

they made 32 offers to oop candidates so uh, if you assume 9 of those were accepted out right there was at least 23 ppl on the oop waitlist who got offers

Guest deeds16

hey jsrashad99, I'm in the same boat as you....MORE waiting (but I'm relieved it wasn't a flat out rejection...as I had been expecting).

I hope Christie will give me my spot number on the waitlist on Monday.

Anyone else with any news?

(I'm from Ontario btw)

Guest deeds16

I'm not sure...but I'll give it a shot. I called the main office (as Christie and Beth were not in today), and they implied that I could find out something by talking to Christie (on Monday). What exactly is another question.

Guest coastal79

I haven't gotten my letter yet but, if I do get in, I'll be declining to go to Queens. I'm OOP. One less person to worry about.

Guest deeds16

I called Beth, and she said that she couldn't really say. She told me that Out of Province wait lists are really hard to predict...some years oop students immediately take up the spots, while other years they don't. She also said that given my spot (she wouldn't say where), I am most likely NOT to hear immediately.

She also said that there are 30 wait list spots for OOP students this year...and there were >45 interviewed this year.

This is REALLY tough news for me to hear...as I have a spot in an American School (which I really can't afford and I really don't want to go to). But now, it looks like I better start making preparations to go.....

Guest deeds16

Question to the Manitoba moderators/or anyone else who knows:

I know this question has been asked in the past many times...so sorry for asking again.

How many people were accepted off the OOP waitlist last year (and if you know...the year before)?

Guest coastal79

deeds16, that info is on the U Man website, in the statistics. It doesn't give you an exact number, but you can make a pretty good guess.

Guest jrashad99

well they wouldn't tell me anything specific,

all they would say was that I was in the top half of the waitlist.

lets hope it moves quickly.

jrashad99

Guest Win2002

oh wow....my paranoia had the whole weekend to run rampant....By this morning I was "pretty sure" I was rejected

Ended up being OOP waitlisted which in comparison to the alternate scenario that was playing in my head is just fine with me =D

Out of all the schools I've applied I have 3 waitlists, 2 rejections....hope I can get that one acceptance!

Guest ManitobaMed

Just popping in to say good luck to those of you on the waitlist. With my class, waitlisted students were added right up until midway through our orientation week, and the U of M *usually* -- though not always -- goes pretty deep into the OOP waitlist. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you guys/gals. :)

Guest sweetstuff25

does anyone know the number of in province (manitoba) waitlists? my friend told me he was somewhere in the middle but no idea how big the list is. i wonder if it includes the ppl oop.

Archived