Premed 101 Forums

first try w/ 3 year undergrad

Guest sweetstuff25

Guest sweetstuff25

how hard is it to get into medicine the first time you apply with a 3 year undergrad degree in uofm? according to many ppl, lots (even with a high gpa) didn't get in from uofm. if i work my butt of and do great on the mcat will that somehow boost my chance of getting in the first time around? this question is kinda vague but i was hoping that someone from uofm heard of any myths like such?

Hi Sweetstuff,

I don't think you can say is it 'hard' to get into U of M medicine with a 3 year degree. I would think it is difficult with whatever degree you have due to the large number of applicants. I think it is important to look at what they are looking for in the selection criteria. For the U of M it currently is 10% AGPA, 40% Interview, 50% MCAT (regular category). So, yes you can work hard and score well on the AGPA and MCAT, but working hard in the books doesn't help you with the interview - unless of course consider volunteer, work and other outside experiences in that.

The truth is that people with more than a 3 year degree likely have more experiences to offer an interview panel simply from a time point of view. There has also been more time for them to solidify their desire to enter medicine, and this may be reflected in what they have done. This is a general statement and definitely doesn't cover everyone - there are many people with 3 year degrees that have lots of experiences and are in medicine. :)

Guest CareBear15

Hi sweetstuff,

I wish you the best of luck this year, but if you don't get in, don't be too crushed. It's amazing how much an extra year can give you fulfillment and more experiences. Although I was really disappointed that I did not get in after 3rd year, I certainly don't regret finishing my 4 year degree.

Guest sweetstuff25

cool, yea i guess experience is a factor. sometimes it's just too hard to know what kind of ppl get into medicine because they accept a wide unique range of candidates...which on the other hand is kinda unpredictable. well i just hope i do well on the mcat on my first shot, it must be a pain in the butt to study for it again. thanks for your advices.

Archived