Premed 101 Forums

For Pt-What Courses Are You Taking After Your Undergrad To Upgrade Your Gpa?

1. What courses/types of courses are you taking to improve your gpa? (anatomy, psych..or unrelated like environment, math?)

2. And I'm guessing they would be courses that arn't that hard?

3. are they all 3rd or 4th year courses? or can you take 1st or 2nd year courses to upgrade?

thanks in advance

and sorry in advance

for the multiple thread posts asking different things. I am getting research done!!

It'll depend on the school you apply to. I can't speak directly to PT, but for OT at a school like UofT, they told me they don't have a preference regarding whether the course is junior or senior level. If it's part of the last 20 half courses you've taken during or after your degree, it'll count towards your GPA. At a school like UofA, if you've taken courses after your degree, they'll only include courses taken at the senior level in your GPA. 

If you're applying to a variety of schools with different criteria, your best bet would likely be to take senior level courses, and just kill two birds with one stone but completing extra courses at the appropriate level all at the same time. 

For the courses I've used to upgrade, I chose courses I knew I could get A range grades in, and that would be related to OT. I started out by looking at recommended or prerequisite courses for OT which are often anatomy, statistics, psyc and other social science courses (some schools specifically ask that you have background in psychology and other non-psychology social science courses like anthropology, sociology, or human geography). I'm sure you can also choose courses that aren't directly related to PT, but you'll have to decide whether or not that'll work for or against you.

Personally, I upgraded by taking courses in anatomy and physiology, child development, and health psychology. 

Also, keep in mind that if you're doing courses after a completed degree, senior courses tend to have prerequisites that you may or may not have, and that seats for those courses tend to be reserved for students who have not yet completed their degree. Doing courses online can help mitigate this though. 

Hope that helps!

Archived