Premed 101 Forums

laptops

Guest cheshirecat12

Guest cheshirecat12

To the med students:

Do many people in your class find that having a laptop computer is necessary/ extremely helpful ? Does the med school have a wireless LAN system for internet access?

how about other gizmos/ gadgets such as palm pilots or cell phones etc?

from the technologically-deprived Cheshire cat :b

Guest ManitobaMed

Hi there,

Laptops: I'm pretty sure I've seen all of *2* people in my class use laptops for lectures. More people use them for problem solving, but the school actually provides a laptop to each group during PR. Internet access is available in the lecture theatres and tutorial rooms; however, again with the exception of PR, people rarely use it.

Palm pilots: some people have them; some don't. At the 1st/2nd year stage, you don't need one. (I can't really comment on 3rd/4th year...) That being said, the people who have them seem to enjoy them. Our weekly schedules are available in palm form, and there's software a-plenty that can be added to them.

Cell phones: I don't have one, but I wish I did. Unfortunately, being in class/at school throughout most of the day, it's really easy to miss phonecalls and/or have annoying games of phone tag with people. The cell phone can help reduce this problem. This is especially true if you don't have anyone at home who can take messages for you.

Hopefully, one of my more techno-advanced colleagues can add to this as I don't have any of the aforementioned gadgets. :)

Guest cheshirecat12

Hi, Thanks for the reply manitobamed :)

I see that they have also been discussing this topic on the McMaster forum.

I would have really liked to have a laptop in undergrad for essay writing etc., but I will hold off on getting one for now.

Thanks again.

Archived