Premed 101 Forums

Grilling Interviews

Guest oopmed

Guest oopmed

Hey there

My interview was in the first weekend. I had the super griller team..or so it seemed. I was just hammered...an experience i haven't had anywhere else.

So my question is....what is the meaning of the interview..ie..if they ask you constant follow-up questions and are not super receptive...but at the end are quite reasonable and warm up to you...does this mean anything? Further, did any of those in the class currently have to interview with "the grilling team"?

Thanks in advance

Guest brandonite

I haven't head of the "super griller team"... I'll have to ask my classmates about that. What sorts of questions did they ask? Panels tend to use the same questions over and over again, so maybe if they asked a unique question, I can find someone else with the same panel.

I would say if you thought they ended up quite reasonable and "warmed up to you", then... that would be a very good sign. But I'll ask around for you.

But I'm sorry that you didn't have a great experience at Manitoba! Unless you enjoyed the "super griller team". :)

Guest oopmed

Hey Brandonite

Thanks for your reply.

The team was composed of one female and two male interviewers. They asked SEVERAL questions and were VERY particular. Several ethical questions and several that were not really warranted. I personally did not feel that they were following anything standardized, with the exception of a few token questions in that domain. If you have heard of anyone with such an interview, please let me know how they fared.

Thanks

Guest calliope

Hey oopmed--

I think I may have had your team as well--male 4th year med student, female ENT resident, male family physician? They did ask a lot of questions, many of which were hypothetical situations (two ethical, one not) involving follow-ups where I had to apply my stance further. Still, I didn't find anything to be particularly out-of-the-blue and they seemed warm and responsive enough (although not quite like my other interview where they did everything but hug me as I left!). What do you mean when you say their questions were unwarranted?

C.

Guest elbrinky

I totally agree with the grilling interviewers. mine went for the shock and awe attack. Horrible. They kept turning things around on me that I had said. I did my best to stay focused, but it was hard. Such is life I suppose. Hopefully it went well for all of us.

Guest brandonite

I talked to a few interviewees today who thought that they might have had a panel like that... To be honest, I don't think it means anything. I've heard the med school process described as a crapshoot a bunch of times, and I think the interview is the most random part of it. Most people in my class seem to agree that how you felt the interview went has little to do with how you end up doing. I know a girl in my class who has applied 3 times, and thought that this year was her worst interview, and she got in. Don't worry about it - just cross your fingers and hope. :)

I will go ahead and ask around about a "grilling team". If ManitobaMed would get off her a$$ and post every now and then (hehe), she might have something to add. I talked to her about it, and she thought she might have had your team last year...

Good luck!

-Kris.

Archived