Premed 101 Forums

Graduate Degree

Guest Kat

I was wondering how the U of M considers someone with a graduate degree. Does it add anything to your application and if so how much? Also you take some grad courses while completing a masters or PhD, how do these affect your gpa?

Thanx

Guest Chochi

Hi Kat,

The U of M will count your grad marks toward your overall AGPA. Some medical schools stipulate that a grad degree must be completed before it may be counted in the grade point calculation. My degree (thankfully) was wrapped up before I applied so this was not a problem for me, but maybe call the admissions office about this point.

Apparently, U of A gives extra points for grad degrees. While a similar policy does not, to my knowledge, exist at U of Mb, you'd think that it would have some impact on the Personal Assessment Score (40% of overall admissions score).

As an example, during my interview I was asked a number of questions about my research, which obviously was great because no one knows about your thesis as well as you do! Well, except your advisor. Ha. It was also a nice ice-breaker and allowed me to chill out in anticipation of the "tough" questions that were coming. In reality though, my committee was absolutely great and the questions I received focused almost exclusively on my autobiographical sketch (excluding 2 ethical questions). So I would suggest spending alot of time on writing that sketch.

The admissions essay provided ample room to sell myself by including my publications and teaching positions to provide a better look at the "big picture". These are areas (research, publications, TA positions, departmental committee membership, conferences, awards-(research related and other grad. awards)) that (generally) most undergrads will not have comparable experience, or at least of the same magnitude. Unfortunately, the opportunity for such experience rarely exists in U.G programs. Herein lies the perfect opportunity to show your "uniqueness" or to stand out from the crowd. An important task indeed, in a field of approx. 600 applicants.

Best of luck!

Cheers,

Archived