Premed 101 Forums

Class of 2006?

Guest brandonite

Guest brandonite

Hey y'all. I just thought I'd see all who here was applying this year to start in 2002.

I've done my undergraduate degree in Brandon. I've got a 32P on my MCATs, and my GPA on the UofM scale is about 4.2.

Anyone else here applying to start next fall?

Guest missing Manitoba

Hi!

I'm applying for next year's class, as well. I'm doing my undergrad at Queen's (4th year) but took my English and biochem pre-reqs at BU as a visiting student.

Guest brandonite

I'm doing my fourth year out here too. I'm just taking Biochem right now with Belke... Charles Paragg was just out here last week going over the admissions process.

Anyway, I suppose I'll see you at the interviews!

Guest missing Manitoba

First, congrats on the MCAT scores, Brandonite!

Dr. Belke's a great prof! I took 363 and 373 the year before last. I'm really glad I took biochem back home instead of contending with the multitudes who take it here at Queen's -- I'm not a fan of big classes.

Did Charles Paragg mention when the interview orientation will be? I noticed on the applicant information that regular category interviews are starting at the beginning of February this year, so, presumably, it would have to be before that.

Guest sazzafrazz

Hey, you guys all seem to be sitting pretty good for MCATs and marks. I'm sure you'll have no trouble getting interviews. It might be a good idea to start concentrating on what you can do while you still have a little time to impress them on your interviews too!

Are you ready for the interviews?

Guest sazzafrazz

Forgot something,

With regards to interview and orientation, they usually recruit people from the previous class (like mine for example this year) to also go to the orientations to answer questions, present our situation, etc. As of yet I haven't heard anything about orientation meetings.

Last year there was a meeting right around now that covered everything including the interview. Then after the interviews were granted there was some information available for those individuals.

saz

Guest brandonite

Ya, I like Dr. Belke so far. He was away last year on a sabbatical, so I waited to take Biochem until he came back.

There are four of us applying to UofM from Brandon this year - myself (in 4th year), and three who are in their third year. We are going to do a set of mock interviews to prep sometime in February - our pre-med advisor out here has interviewed for UofM the last decade or so, so he has a pretty good idea what they are looking for. But I'm not really that concerned. From what Charles had to say, they're more concerned with how you say things, not what you say... :-) He posted the breakdown of marks on the interview, and they are all about how you conduct yourself.

He didn't mention the orientation process - but if last year is any indication, it will be on the first weekend of interviews. Charles told me that we will be given a bit of choice as to when our interview will be, although he didn't go into many details. He told me that they hoped to sent out interview notifications before Christmas - although, with your stats, you should be guarenteed an interview...

Guest missing Manitoba

Thanks for the information. I attended a similar info session when I was at BU, but I couldn't remember any of the specifics. Actually, I remember at least two first years (now third years) who were at the session, so maybe they're among the students applying this year.

While I haven't actually posted my stats (they're good but not amazing), I should get an interview as long as I get my application in on time.

Guest brandonite

Yes, I see that you didn't post your stats. Sorry 'bout that - I must have been thinking about someone else.

At any rate, they interview anybody above a 3.6 on the UofM scale, and with at least an 8 average on the MCATs. And they even interview a few people with GPAs less than 3.6, as there's a chance that they be above 3.6 after their final year grades come in. And with the way they drop of your 30 worst credit hours (if you have done 4 years), it is fairly easy to get an interview.

I think I was at that session, actually. :-) I would've been in second year.

Guest missing Manitoba

No problem.

Actually, I have a 35 O with an AGPA of ~4.2 (if I'm doing the calculation correctly). I'm not concerned about getting an interview so much as bombing the interview when I do get it.

By the way, if you noticed a girl with no hair at the info session in 1999...

Guest brandonite

Charles also handed out some stats which gave you an idea of your chances. With your stats or better, people last year had a 100% admission rate (provided they were MB residents). So, I wouldn't be too concerned if I were you. As soon as I saw that, I became a LOT less concerned about the interview.

I think all we have to do is not screw up very badly and we shouldn't have much of a problem...

I don't remember you, but that was two years ago. :-)

• 5 months later...

Im an out of province applicant. 36Q and a 4.4/4.5 gpa.

my interview went alright (my first one, i was a little nervous).

Anyone wanna give me an idea of my chances as an out of prov. student?

TJ

Guest missing Manitoba

Hi OOP,

Based on the stats for the OOP students accepted last year, it looks like your chances probably come down to the 40% personal assessment score. So, it would be really difficult even to hazard a guess. Sorry I couldn't be of any more help -- this wait isn't a lot of fun. :(

Archived