Premed 101 Forums

Current Med Students - Help!

Guest brandonite

Guest brandonite

Hello again, everybody. :)

Firstly, I've got an interview date - February 23rd. So, I'm looking forward to that. Has anybody heard anything other than me? None of the other Brandon applicants have heard yet.

Anyway, I have a quick question for you current med students. The other Brandon applicants want to go in early to the session on the 5th to wander around the school and whatsoever. And, for some reason, they've nominated me as tour guide, just because I've been there once before. So, would we look really wierd just wandering around the Bannatyne campus? What places should we really go and visit? We're not looking for a tour or anything, just a chance to get a feel for the place. Can you just go up and look at the rec centre in Brodie? Is it easy to find your way around campus?

Oh, and where would be a good place to park for the info session. I've heard rumours about a good parking lot across from the Chown (sp?) building.

Thanks!

Guest missing Manitoba

Hi Brandonite,

The UofM called yesterday while I was out, so I missed out on the February interview dates. :( My interview is March 9.

As for touring the med school, AVOID THE GLASS ELEVATORS!!! I say this as someone who spent over an hour stuck in one of them. I have an everlasting empathy for aquarium animals as a result of my ordeal.:rolleyes

Guest sazzafrazz

Hey Brandonite,

There will be plenty of med students on hand at the meeting on the 5th. Just ask them where to go or to show you some stuff as you may need a pass to get into some areas. A lot of the areas may be locked. You can definitely wander around as you wish. Brodie rec center is easy to find, in the basement(go down the stairs beside the bank machine), they will probably let you take a look around if you ask nicely.

saz

Guest brandonite

Hey Saz.

Thanks for the tips. We managed to do pretty well - I find the campus to be a bit of a maze, so we only got lost a few times. Did you make it to the session? I asked the question about the typical day, if you were there. It would've been nice to talk to you for a second! Anyway, thanks again!

Guest sazzafrazz

I'm glad the session went well. I was there briefly on the balcony but I did not stay for the whole presentation. I hear the speeches by my classmates went well. I hope you were impressed with the school and that you did find some good people to talk to. Did they let you into the gym?

What are your thoughts on the meeting?

saz

• 3 weeks later...
Guest hulahulahula

Hi Brandonite!

I'm just curious as to how your interview went at U of M? Was it very serious? Lots of ethical questions? I'm just not sure what to expect. And congrats!!!

Guest brandonite

My interview is tomorrow. I'll post on here when I get back to give the rest of you a bit of an idea. I've been busy studying for a big midterm all week, so I haven't had time to prepare much, so I hope things go decently... :) Wish me luck!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest brandonite

OK...

Sorry it took me so long! BTW, I posted on interviewfeedback.com - mine is February 23rd.

Things went really well. I went over things in pretty good detail on interviewfeedback, so I don't want to go over things twice! I still think it's unfair to be asked a pile of questions about Winnipeg politics! I got asked what I thought of the new smoking ban, and how it was brought in, what I thought of the plan to tear down the Eaton's building to build a new arena, and the question about trying to sell Winnipeg to somebody moving there.

Other than that... I got the usual med interview questions. What qualities did I think were important for doctors, for example. They started things off with the "Why do you want to be a doctor" question. The question that sorta threw me for a loop was "What would be your worst quality as a doctor", and I wasn't really ready for that. They wanted to know how I handled stress, too. The student was really great. The doctor was really nice as well. The university prof was good too, but I still think it was unfair for all those Winnipeg based questions when I'm not from Winnipeg...

Anyway, I really liked the school. The students seemed really nice, and they sounded like they had a lot of fun there. I've interviewed at schools that have a better reputation, but I'm leaning towards Manitoba just because of cost/location, and the fact that I did like the school. They seemed like a close group...

Good luck, everybody! Hope to meet you in September...

Guest hulahulahula

Hey thanks so much for the heads up on your interview experience! I am heading off to mine on Saturday and am looking forward to it. Unfortunately I will miss the info session and the meet and greet (why does that word look wrong?) but hopefully I'll be able to find my way around and still get to tour the campus (I'm OOP). I will let everyone know what types of questions get asked in my interview.

Cheers and good luck to everyone!

Guest brandonite

Hey, good luck!

I passed on the meet-and-greet as well - I had a midterm the night before here in Brandon, so I was a little bit busy...

Things are pretty laid back at Manitoba. I really liked the school. I'm an in-province applicant. I've interviewed elsewhere, but I'm leaning towards Manitoba right now. The campus itself isn't in the best location, which is probably the biggest drawback to the school, and schools in Manitoba can sometimes have a bit of a provincial attitude, but the facilities were great, the library was one of the best I've seen, the students were very friendly, they have things like a gym right on campus, and I think you get a great medical education there!

Again, good luck!

Archived