Premed 101 Forums

early admission

Guest brandonite

Guest brandonite

Does anybody know the rough date that they'll be sending out the first round of acceptances?? I just found out that I got an NSERC PGS, and I have until April 22nd to accept. I don't really want to turn it down until I have something from Manitoba to go on... I haven't been able to find anything on the website, and I can't remember when they found out last year...

Guest Tempus Textor

Hello brandonite,

Manitoba is expected to commence early offers on April 25; their normal selection occurs in early June. For the sake of 72 hours, I would be inclined to try to get one or the other to stretch a little. Otherwise, you are between the proverbial rock and hard place.

It's comforting that there are no problems in life, just challenges 8)

Good luck,

Tempus Textor

Guest brandonite

Thanks.

I'm thinking I should be in the first batch, so I suppose three days isn't a big deal. I thought it was more than a month from now. Not that I don't mind the shorter wait... :)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest brandonite

I think so, but I'm not entirely sure. You might want to give Charles Paragg a call to find out...

I think they said that they try to 'fill half the class' in April, so that doesn't, at least to me, imply a distinction between in province and OOP.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest haloo

They were mailed out today, I called the office to find out. They told me they are planning to fill half the class. I'm a bit more of a longshot since I am out of province but I was curious anyways.

Guest brandonite

If they went out on Friday, I should get mine on Monday. I guess if I don't hear anything by Tuesday, that would probably be a bad sign... ;)

Brandonite,

I have been reading your posts over the past little while, and I can see that you are very focused on getting in (thats a good thing). However, you seem way too cocky. This application process is filled with thousands of amazing people, with amazing marks, mcats and experiences. Your postive attitude is great, don't get me wrong, but you come across being arrogant, cocky and too sure of yourself.

Let's just hope you didn't do that in your interview.... that it DESPISED OF BIG TIME.

Many people who feel the process when Shi_ _ y, get in and some who think they are a shoe in don't.

The point is, keep your "im gonna get in, and probably in the 1st round" talk to yourself. Im sure you will, but lets just keep that between you and U of M admissions.

Vincent John Jermaine

Guest brandonite

Hi.

Well, I guess I'm sorry you think that. I don't really think of myself that way, but you're certainly entitled to think that. I think it might be the Internet - it has a way of distorting things. I think I am much more pleasant in person. ;)

At any rate, I got my letter today, and I'm in. :) A nice scholarship, too. So, I can confirm that the letters are going out. I wish the rest of you all the best! Hopefully we will be classmates. Although, if I do come across as badly as Vincent thinks, perhaps some of you would rather that not happen. Hahaha. :)

Good luck to all of you!

Guest Kirsteen

Very well done brandonite--good going! I'm envious of the relief that you must feel!

Are you still opting for the MD/PhD program?

Enjoy your celebration,

Kirsteen

Guest brandonite

Yup. I'm 110% comitted to the MD/PhD. :) Right now, I couldn't imagine doing anything else...

I have an NSERC PGS valued at almost $30,000 for next year for grad school, so I'm going to do a year of PhD work. I'll either defer or decline the Manitoba offer for now. That will be really tough - I'd hate to decline this acceptance - but it just makes much more sense. Might as well do the research while I have that scholarship! Still, I've been a premed since like Grade 9, so after this long haul, it will really tear me apart to decline it. But I have been told by people at the Faculty of Medicine that this is best, and that I won't have a hard time getting in again, so I will have to trust them. :)

Guest Kirsteen

Hi again brandonite,

I'm unfamiliar with the Manitoba MD/PhD program, but don't they offer a "bespoke" version where you could custom-tailor your program? Some other universities offer this, although the first year is generally a MD-program year. Perhaps you could defer the first year of meds and move into the meds program in year two. At that point you could continue your research part-time until you have completed the two non-clerkship years of the meds program, whereupon you can return to the research?

It just sounds, not only like a pain in the bum to have to subject yourself to the meds application process again, but a waste of, what will be, research activity time.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest brandonite

Yes. Well, basically, what I will probably be doing, would be doing one of my PhD years next year. Then, I would enter medical school in the second or third year of the program. The MD/PhD at Manitoba is a bit haphazard right now - done on a department by department basis. There is supposedly a new program coming that is much more comprehensive, but it isn't here yet. So, that is causing me much confusion - trying to plan next year around a program that is still in development. That is a reason why I have thought about just waiting a year doing research/class work (that would be applicable to my PhD) and seeing what happens with the program. That, of course, would require me declining the offer... Otherwise, I will defer.

Guest brandonite

Someone else on the other board posted that they got in. I'm not sure if he/she was OOP or not.

My stats were very good. I can post them here, but I probably should not. If you are really interested, you can find them in another thread in this Manitoba forum. I was in the highest little box on that table they sent out to us.

Has anybody else heard anything? The letters might take a bit longer to travel for others - I just live a couple hours away.

Oh, and as to the interview... It went fine. Nothing big happened. Not particularily amazing, just well. I think I talked about it in another thread here as well.

Guest Tempus Textor

As expected, Manitoba has released their advanced offers (sent April 25). The offer is made on a single 8.5 x 11 sheet and fits into a thin letter-sized envelope, which might at first disappoint you if you were anticipating a larger package like the big red folder sought after by McGill candidates. The advanced list comprises the top half of their rankings. The remaining offers will be sent out in mid May so try to stay calm and positive.

For those of you that feel that you will never be able to study medicine unless you get an offer right here, right now, think again. There is no time limit and no law that prohibits the entry of candidates that are in their late twenties (or thirties, or forties). Want it, work for it, and don't give up. It will come to you.

Good luck to you all.

Tempus Textor

Guest OTgirl

Tempus Textor, I would just like to express my appreciation for your well articulated and very helpful posts. You are able to communicate exactly what needs to be shared with those anxiously awaiting without any trace of ego or artifice. I agree with your sentiments entirely and would simply second them.

Thanks,

OTgirl

Archived